OT-Well, got THAT out of the way

Old 06-05-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT-Well, got THAT out of the way

First damage to new car--UGGGHHH! I was at a stupid drive-through and scraped my wheel on the curb. It's a horrible drive-thru--I will probably never go there again. I was even consciously thinking about the curb, and the turn is so sharp I hit it anyway.

After a bit of research, I called a wheel restoration place for a quote. I'm guessing a couple hundred dollars. I'll go out with rubbing compound in the morning and see how bad it really is--I'm sure at some point it will happen again, it just SUCKS on a brand-new car.

I have a $500 deductible on my insurance so this one I'm eating. There are kits you can use to fix it yourself, but I'd be afraid of making a bigger mess. I didn't mind taking a chance on the old car, but not with this one.

As Spalding would say, "Blergh." (I like that kid.)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drive in's and crappy gas stations. Bane of my driving existence.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Oh no! I'm so sorry, Lexie. I tend to bond with my vehicles. When they get hurt, I feel so bad and imagine their pain.

Yeah, I know...I'm weird.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Oh no! I'm so sorry, Lexie. I tend to bond with my vehicles. When they get hurt, I feel so bad and imagine their pain.

Yeah, I know...I'm weird.
Well, I guess I am, too, then, because I felt the same way. When I bought my last car, I was having a sunroof installed (I'd wanted the sunroof but the car I wanted didn't have one), and when I told my ex-husband about it, he said, "Oooh, you're gonna let them cut a hole in your nice, new car?" And DANGED if that didn't make me feel guilty, like I was declawing a kitten.

Maybe I can put a band-aid on the owwwie and kiss it to make it better.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Noooo! I'm sorry to hear!

(I definitely laughed out loud at the mention! I didnt realize I had posted that little saying enough times for it to have caught on!)
Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG, I bought a new car a couple years ago, and I almost cried the first time I scraped my hub cap on a curb while parallel parking. I didn't bother getting it fixed because I live in an urban area and do a lot of parallel parking, so it seems inevitable that the wheels are going to get scraped up. But then I really got ambitious and hit the front quarter against a concrete pillar in the very tight parking garage of my condo building. Oh, I was so traumatized! Luckily the body shop made it good as new. Why can't things stay shiny and perfect forever?
Old 06-06-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is some thing that makes that happen, I'm convinced it is some ego-leveling device.

I got a big scrape on my brand new car's painted bumper the first week.

I've had the car now 15 years and that's still the only noticeable damage other than door dings and tiny scratches - I never fixed it, for the same reasons as Lexi.

Meh, it gave it character and was definitely a good lesson in Rule 62.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I swear it's easier to just take a rock and throw it at the new car and GET IT OVER WITH!

the most damage done to our newest car (2011) was when the bulldog at the back seat and when hank shot out the rear side passenger window with the lawn mower.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess I'm kind of strange, but it's the opposite for me. I'm always glad to get the first ding over with--it helps me with my "perfection" issues.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/images/smilies/reaction.gif
Old 06-07-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And DANGED if that didn't make me feel guilty, like I was declawing a kitten.
Lol. I just bought a new car and will soon put my old one, which is a perfectly good Mazda that I've loved for ten years, up for sale. I feel guilty, like I'm hurting the Mazda's feelings. So silly.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, maybe you'll get lucky like I did. I was working on cleaning up the old car, getting ready to have it detailed and such, when a couple of my neighbors strolled by. One said he had a son who just graduated from college and needs a car.

They bought it--as is (a bit of cosmetic damage after 9 years, but runs great and low miles, heated leather seats, sunroof, plus a nice aftermarket radio with bluetooth, and a remote starter). It is the kid's FIRST car, and he is totally in love with it. He is on my street so I still see it every day. His eyes just sparkle and shine when he looks at it, and he commented that it will be his little brother's car when he's old enough to drive in a couple of years.

I think I was as excited as he was that he bought it. He will give it a good home, lol.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I remember going with my mother once when she picked a new car up from the lot. She stood there smiling at it, so happy she had finally gotten the car of her dreams. Then she turns to me, sighs, and says "Do you think I should just take the keys to it now and get the first scratch over with?"

Every baby gets a boo boo at some point, Lexie. As parents we have to step back sometimes and let them experience the world. Both the good and the bad. As painful as it is to us, that's how they learn.

I suspect you car will be more careful the next time it's near a curb.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Every baby gets a boo boo at some point, Lexie. As parents we have to step back sometimes and let them experience the world. Both the good and the bad. As painful as it is to us, that's how they learn.

I suspect you car will be more careful the next time it's near a curb.
I know, I know. It's just so hard to watch them do these things. But you're right--coddling and enabling isn't the answer.

Maybe I need to let it experience the pain of that first scrape. Later, when it's grown up a little, maybe I can help fix it.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Omg, I am so sorry. I would be pissed too.