Notices

It only takes ONE occasion

Old 06-03-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It only takes ONE occasion

It only takes ONE occasion of drinking to have negative consequences, I just heard that my older brother went out to a party this last weekend, drank a whole bunch and ended up having a panic attack, he started to run across the country path right by a canal and fell over, he has broken his ribs on one side! He then in his panic and alcohol fuelled mind knocked on doors for help, ended up being arrested for drunken and disorderly , he could have easily fell into the canal and drowned that night!

And he is not even an alcoholic! It just goes to show that ONE night of drinking can have bad consequences and sadly it is often tragic!

A good reminder for me!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My coworker died drunk driving recently. He rarely drank. Alcohol can kill even those who don't regularly drink. I'm glad your brother is ok.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad your brother ended up ok but yes alcohol can impact all those who take too much
Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, a sad reminder...glad to hear that your brother was not seriously harmed or didn't harm someone else.

Seems every weekend I read about alcohol related fatalities/accidents/arrests even in my local news.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sad indeed! I came close to my first relapse this weekend after 13 months sobriety. I was staying at a hostel and had tried to convince myself for two days to drink! It was a mental battle like I hadn't had in over a year! I prayed, talked to a friend in recovery and still was on the verge. During the early morning hours I heard a lot of noise and ruckus outside our tent and inside the hostel. Seems a guy at the hostel had came in drunk, drank everyone else alcohol and was so noisy people left. The next morning as I was getting my cup of coffee I overheard him getting the third degree from the lady who runs the place and as he was packing up to leave he came over to apologize to me and others. He said he had been sober for three years with the help of AA and had relapsed a while back and was so sorry. I, of course, followed him out and shared my experience with him and was amazed at how even he understood that his drinking had actually helped me stay sober. The truth be told, if I had drank that would have been me! I would have been right there with that dude drinking and causing all the mess in the wake of. I was like, "WOW, God sent me another drunk to show me what could have been"

Later that day a man walks in and my wife asked him his trail name, he responds, "rebos" we're like that cool...he's like yeah, it's 'sober' spelled backwards! Turns out the guys been sober for 11 years and was hiking his way through the AT and heading up to Atlanta for the big AA convention coming in July! I'll never doubt that God doesn't hear and answer that simple prayer of help!

The insanity of that first drink is amazing! Needless to say, I stayed sober and had a wonderful vacation!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Sad indeed! I came close to my first relapse this weekend after 13 months sobriety. I was staying at a hostel and had tried to convince myself for two days to drink! It was a mental battle like I hadn't had in over a year! I prayed, talked to a friend in recovery and still was on the verge. During the early morning hours I heard a lot of noise and ruckus outside our tent and inside the hostel. Seems a guy at the hostel had came in drunk, drank everyone else alcohol and was so noisy people left. The next morning as I was getting my cup of coffee I overheard him getting the third degree from the lady who runs the place and as he was packing up to leave he came over to apologize to me and others. He said he had been sober for three years with the help of AA and had relapsed a while back and was so sorry. I, of course, followed him out and shared my experience with him and was amazed at how even he understood that his drinking had actually helped me stay sober. The truth be told, if I had drank that would have been me! I would have been right there with that dude drinking and causing all the mess in the wake of. I was like, "WOW, God sent me another drunk to show me what could have been"

Later that day a man walks in and my wife asked him his trail name, he responds, "rebos" we're like that cool...he's like yeah, it's 'sober' spelled backwards! Turns out the guys been sober for 11 years and was hiking his way through the AT and heading up to Atlanta for the big AA convention coming in July! I'll never doubt that God doesn't hear and answer that simple prayer of help!

The insanity of that first drink is amazing! Needless to say, I stayed sober and had a wonderful vacation!
Wow that is powerful! Thank you for sharing!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow ultra that is a great story. In my life God has repeatedly used others as examples for me on why not to do certain things. And many time those experiences occur right at the times of my greatest weakness and vulnerability. And i suppose in many ways unknown to me God has used me in my victories and failures to influence others. Great story. Stay Strong!!!