Notices

Want to connect with other sober people

Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to connect with other sober people

I've been alcohol free for 9 months now and I feel positive that I can keep going on with a sober life. However I'm finding it so hard to connect with people that are going through the same thing. Being 23 and sober makes it difficult I guess, as most people at this age see no problem with binge drinking and although I've made this great change in my life to better myself, I feel like an outcast now and have lost friends because of this. It's a weird situation. Anyway, it would be great to talk to other people that share similar experiences or even just want to talk about anything at all. I don't really know how this site works but hopefully it helps to connect me with a few people that can understand what I'm dealing with and vice versa. So feel free to contact me if you feel like we could help each other out
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Hi Shearn, You came to the right place! Big congrats on nine months - that's great!

Have a look around and at past threads that may deal with any issues you are having. I'm sure others will be along shortly to welcome you!
Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Shearn!

You might want to join some of the many ongoing threads here. One is the "24-Hour Recovery Connections" thread, and think about the "Class" thread for the month you got sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-61-a.html

Newcomer's Daily Support Threads - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-02-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you here shearn - welcome

D
Old 06-02-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Lots of people here to talk to and relate with.

I also like to have some face to face contact as well as message boards, so I go to AA meetings. I've met some amazing people, and even with me being a little socially awkward at times, am making new friends. The confidence in my sobriety that I get from the meetings and feeling less fragile and raw in social dealings has also made it easier for me to approach old friends and arrange alternatives to going out drinking. (Admittedly - only selected, closer friends).

You're so right to address the loneliness. It can be such a trigger.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, it's amazing to see all the support! I'm so glad I discovered this site - it can be tricky trying to cope when you feel quite alone at times so I think this is definitely the right place for me, I really appreciate the kindness and welcome words
Old 06-02-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Shearn welcome to SR. Big congratulations on 9 months sober, what an achievement.

I wish I had the hindsight to stop when I was younger. Hats off to you.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Shearn!!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Shearn; congratulations on nine sober months - well done.

You will find a lot of support, understanding and camaraderie here; glad you found us.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA has all sorts of positives but one of them is the social. It is a wonderful feeling to be in a room full of people that understand what it is like to be me
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on nine months sober! You'll find lots of sober people here to connect with.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 9 months! That's awesome!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can imagine how incredibly difficult it must be to get sober at 23. I binge drank my way through my 20's but never once thought I had a problem. All my friends and peers binge drank with me so I thought it was normal. As I approached 30, however, my peers started to slow down and focus on career/marriage etc. I kept drinking and just started drinking at home alone. That's where I differed from my old party pals. I actually increased my alcohol intake. I was an alcoholic, dammit. I couldn't stop.

Good for you in doing something now about your drinking. You will save yourself a lot of future suffering.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Shearn
Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Just reading all of your responses is really inspiring and makes me feel more sociable already. What a great feeling it is to know I'm not alone in this. Much appreciated, and I'm really glad to now be apart of such a great initiative. Keep up the good work everyone
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I bet it's really hard to be so young and sober. Where I love there are some awesome young peoples meetings and they all hang out a lot. I wonder if you joined a gym, book club, class where you would meet some young healthy people?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My best friend at 23 was a teetotaler. He was strong, never caved to peer pressure. I know it can be done.