Notices

17 days

Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

17 days

17 days ago, I decided to lay down two life long burdens: alcohol and nicotine. I started using both as a teenager, playing high school sports, dipping and drinking with the guys. I went to college and did the fraternity thing. While there, I really ramped up the drinking/partying. From college, I went to the military and except for some time spent in the Middle East, continued heavy drinking. At the time, it didn't seem like there was a problem. Everyone was doing it. Looking back, I know I am lucky to have survived that time in my life. I was an absolute drunk and living life recklessly.

Then I got married, had kids and started my business. I spent the next 15+ years life building. I did still drink occasionally, but never really had a problem. It was more of a take it or leave it type thing. The nicotine, of course, was always there.

In the last few years, things have changed. The kids and the business have grown up. Neither seem to need me as much anymore. So, my wife and I have been spending a lot of time with friends. Our friends drink ... a lot. We have spent countless weekend afternoons sitting on the deck, retelling the same tired stories and downing one after another. (Not my wife. She is a have one or two then switch to soda or water type person).

Recently (in the last 6 months), I have taken my drinking to a new level. On Friday night, friends or not, I am drinking. On Saturday, I usually have my first beer around 2-3 pm. I will drink until bedtime. Sundays are recovery day and I am too hung over to do anything enjoyable or productive. The whole thing has really become a bore and I just got sick and tired of it.

So, after a long discussion with my wife, we emptied all the alcohol in the house and began our alcohol / nicotine free life. The first three days were an absolute bear. Then, the fog. That seems to be lifting now and I am actually starting to feel good. I have been reading a couple of books on Mindfulness and using the Urge Surfing technique. That really helps for the nicotine craves. I have been exercising and I reading a lot on here. This place is great. Thank you all for sharing.

So ... 17 days in and I am feeling pretty good. Looking forward to reclaiming all those lost hours of life.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. I love determination and positive sense of self. Welcome!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Fox. Alcoholism kind of sneaks up on us doesn't it

Well done on not smoking too - 17 days you should be over the worst
Old 06-02-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Fox

D
Old 06-02-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Congratulations Fox. Alcoholism kind of sneaks up on us doesn't it

Well done on not smoking too - 17 days you should be over the worst
Yes, it does. It sneaks up on you and robs you of yourself.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Fox!! 17 Days is fantastic!!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiring post, I am one day behind you and trying to shift my mindset as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on breaking two bad habits at once.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome, Fox- great work on the 17 days!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Fox; glad you found us.

Congratulations on 17 days of sobriety and that you are feeling well.

Enjoy all those wonderful sober moments which await you.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations! I know the feeling of weekend binge / recovery. It's hard to realize it has become a problem because "everyone" drinks on the weekends and if you aren't drinking every day it can't really be a problem, right? Well, we know better sounds like you have a lot of great stuff going on and it must be nice to be able to enjoy it in a healthier way! Keep up the great work!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Fox
Old 06-03-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeepTruckin View Post
Welcome and congratulations! I know the feeling of weekend binge / recovery. It's hard to realize it has become a problem because "everyone" drinks on the weekends and if you aren't drinking every day it can't really be a problem, right? Well, we know better sounds like you have a lot of great stuff going on and it must be nice to be able to enjoy it in a healthier way! Keep up the great work!
You're right. "Everyone" does drink on the weekends. In fact, the people I know make the drinking the main weekend event.

I have invited a couple of friends over this weekend. They will bring the kids and let them swim while we have a little cook out. It would normally be an 8-10 beer day for me. But this time, I will be sticking to San Pellegrino with an orange Crystal Lite packet (my new favorite drink). I am anxious to see the response I get. I have decided not to get into the real reason for my not drinking, because I know it would kick off a argument over how I didn't have a problem. Of course, for them to admit I have a problem would force them to look at their own drinking habits. Anyway, I am just going with the ... "I don't need the extra calories right now" ... excuse.

I know I will lose "friends" over this decision. I am totally prepared for that. I chose this couple because I feel they are the most likely to just roll with it. In fact I fully expect them to follow suit when I go sans alcohol. We will see. It should be interesting.

Thank you all for the encouraging words.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Fox. Your post was great & very helpful - I'm so glad you joined us.

I had that same drinking pattern in my 30's & 40's. I didn't do what you're doing - I ignored the warning signs that my life was going off the rails. As a result, Sunday was no longer my recovery day - it was just another drinking day. Same with the rest of the week. Eventually, I never drew a sober breath. It was hell to get off it at that point. I'm happy you've seen what needed to happen - no misery down the road for you.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I gained (or regained) a lot of new friends when I got sober Fox...drinking me was not great company, but sober me is not too bad

I made a lot of changes but I regret none of them - my life is immeasurably better now

D