Sometimes I want to

Old 06-02-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sometimes I want to

Reach out to exabf.
Is this normal?
How do I deal with it?
I know nothing good would come out of it, so I haven't done it.
Yet, the urge is still there.
I have blocked him everywhere and even deactivated my facebook account, but sometimes I feel so anxious. Being this anxious is having a physical effect on me.
My health is not that great now, and I can't sleep properly at night.
I don't think this is due to co-dependency. (Or is it?)

Any suggestions on this and also, how to improve one's self esteem?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's pretty normal.

What have you changed FOR YOU since your breakup? Any new groups, activities, getting back in touch with old friends you've been ignoring, etc? My self esteem grew incrementally over time as I joined groups, met new people, started new activities, etc.

Do you have health problems that are impacting your ability to sleep or has lack of sleep brought on health issues? There are all kinds of things that may help with that - yoga, meditation, exercise, journaling, OTC meds like melatonin, etc, depending on the root problem.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi TimetoHeal.... I go through that very same thing! ugh... not just this time around. In fact, I had this one relationship with a man that went off and on for about six years, and I at one point found every excuse in the book to reach out to him. Eventually, I just kept ignoring this urge and I just got stronger at doing it over time.... like developing a muscle.

Now, when I find myself emotional and/or missing my recent xabf, I come to SR as often as I can. I also have learned to fill my time with exercise, cooking, reading, hanging out with my kids, hiking, the beach (I live close), or chores, and if I get any extra time, I pick up my guitar and write music. Having time fillers helps distract me. Right now, though, I am still struggling to deal with the incessant thinking... the obsession of constantly thinking about it. I find in those times that I have to stay away from SR, because it just adds to me thinking about all of this nonsense in my life! lol
Old 06-02-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As you work towards improved self-esteem, the desire for validation from people who are emotionally unavailable will go away.

I worked on my self-esteem primarily in one-on-one therapy, but also by spending time with healthy people who liked me for exactly who I was, by engaging in activities and hobbies I enjoyed, and by taking care of myself. It is not an overnight process, by any means, but every little choice you make that is Pro-YOU helps.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Timetoheal....now might be a good time to re-read the posts that you have already recieved, in the past. This subject has been discussed, there.

Yes, the urge is normal. and will return for several weeks to several months.
As, has been suggested by others, you go on with your new life....the urge will grow progressively weaker.....until....one day in the future, you will wonder what you thought was so attractive t low-level protien....

dandylion
Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I think it's pretty normal.

What have you changed FOR YOU since your breakup? Any new groups, activities, getting back in touch with old friends you've been ignoring, etc? My self esteem grew incrementally over time as I joined groups, met new people, started new activities, etc.

Do you have health problems that are impacting your ability to sleep or has lack of sleep brought on health issues? There are all kinds of things that may help with that - yoga, meditation, exercise, journaling, OTC meds like melatonin, etc, depending on the root problem.

I have been in contact with all of my friends since the break up and even before the break up. At least, with all of my real friends, and I have been recently meeting new people trough them, and that's good.
But other than this, I haven't done anything for me.
Maybe buying some stuff, but not any major changes.
I have always exercised daily for the past 6 years, so that's not an issue.

I DO WANT to get to music classes again, but I can't do it right now cause' my semester at school is getting a little hard.

I think it is the second option, I haven't slept well for more than 3 weeks now so that is what is making me get sick I guess.
Meditation sounds like a great option...

Thanks for everything FireSprite! :hug
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LemonGirl View Post
Eventually, I just kept ignoring this urge and I just got stronger at doing it over time.... like developing a muscle.
I think this is true... Thanks a lot LemonGirl!
Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
As you work towards improved self-esteem, the desire for validation from people who are emotionally unavailable will go away.

I worked on my self-esteem primarily in one-on-one therapy, but also by spending time with healthy people who liked me for exactly who I was, by engaging in activities and hobbies I enjoyed, and by taking care of myself. It is not an overnight process, by any means, but every little choice you make that is Pro-YOU helps.
This is true. Right now I need to focus in taking care of myself and being, truly, good to me, even with my thoughts.

Thank you, SparkleKitty.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Timetoheal....now might be a good time to re-read the posts that you have already recieved, in the past. This subject has been discussed, there.

Yes, the urge is normal. and will return for several weeks to several months.
As, has been suggested by others, you go on with your new life....the urge will grow progressively weaker.....until....one day in the future, you will wonder what you thought was so attractive t low-level protien....

dandylion

Thank you dandylion.
I know everyone here had already gave me advice about this.
It just kind of annoys me how I went back to him again, but, it is what it is and now I have to deal with the results.