Notices

Be A Hill Seeker!

Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Be A Hill Seeker!

My "inner trail runner" called me to share this (I'd credit the author but none was listed). I wish all "Relentless Forward Progress" today, and every day!

Most of us try to avoid hills, but what's so good about flat? Think about it: flat tires, flat hair, flat hair and- the ultimate- flatlining.

Life happens on the hills. They are opportunities to prove to yourself that you are stronger than you ever imagined.

If you never attempt the ascent, you will never know the thrill of swooshing down the other side.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love running those hills....hurt like hell on the way up but nothing like reaching the top.

Nice metaphor and makes sense.....most things worth achieving in life are painful in one way or another either mentally or physically. Maybe we need the hardship to appreciate the result.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So true..

This weekend I ran an 8 miler on gradual but consistent and challenging hill trails. SO hard but oh so good.

Years ago at a rough time in life, I began tackling a road - Sulfur Mountain Road - that was all switchbacks, up up up for six miles.

The first day I could only run about 100meters at a time. Gradually over that summer I was able to run it, nonstop to the top, at 9 min miles with a 12 lb pack.

Sure, it's nice to cruise the lazy flats, and there's joyous thrill of racing the downslopes. But hills, that's where the real growth happens.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're right about the things that are worth achieving are only done by scaling a few heights

I have been jogging most days now for about 4 and a half months although I have to confess that I usually jog along the banks of my local canal which obviously is pretty flat. The advantages are that despite being in central London there is no traffic and it is really peaceful in the early morning
Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey UM,

Great title. Personally I prefer the hill climbs. The 'down' is just slow poison on the legs. Come try our comrades ultra and you will see what I mean with the 'down' run.

The title is well suited to sobriety. What is worth having that is given so easily? The harder one works to get something, the more one appreciates it and the harder one fights to keep it.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting timing of this thread. I've been thinking about getting some more hills into my legs. I used to do my Sunday runs around the local boulevard which is all hills. Wake up call !