Notices

Yes it is me again

Old 06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yes it is me again

Hi all i have been trying to give up the alcohol for so long now but it was only tonight when i realised when i first started drinking heavily it was 18 years ago when i lost my brother to electrocution. I have never got over it and tonight i am being honest to the group i have suffered from ocd since his death and alcohol eases the pain. Can anyone help i need to stop drinking to stop the pain of my brothers death. Hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
Hi all i have been trying to give up the alcohol for so long now but it was only tonight when i realised when i first started drinking heavily it was 18 years ago when i lost my brother to electrocution. I have never got over it and tonight i am being honest to the group i have suffered from ocd since his death and alcohol eases the pain. Can anyone help i need to stop drinking to stop the pain of my brothers death. Hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks for reading.
Welcome back tizzkins. I lost my brother to suicide a few years back. I can tell you this - you are not going to ease the pain through the bottom of a bottle.

Time to get back on the bicycle. Stay close to SR and baby steps.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.

I’m sorry for your pain.
Escape from the pain we suffer from is only temporary when we soak it in alcohol.
I’d suggest perhaps some therapy, perhaps by reading and posting here and/or attending AA meetings where you are among people who understand our daily living with pain and trying to escape with alcohol.

BE WELL
Old 06-01-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back tizzkins. There is definitely help available for OCD and other issues, but not until you stop drinking unfortunately...it probably makes it worse actually. Do you have access to any alcohol drug counselors or meetings nearby that you could possibly try? The first step is to put down the bottle and then you can start working on getting better.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome back tizzkins. I understand pain for sure -- and the denial of the gravity of my drinking.

Keep coming here for support. Plan to visit on a regular basis. Anything is possible.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Tiz.
You can leave drinking behind

D
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Sorry about your struggle with the loss of you brother. Perhaps some professional therapy is something to consider. Nothing to be shamed about.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had to deal with death quite a bit here in my own life during the last couple of years.

I can tell you that in my experience, it was a million times better for me to deal with it without booze. There's no telling what kind of messes I'd have gotten into if I had drank during the death of my father or any of my grandparents.

In my experience, it was just my addictive voice that tried to convince me that drinking alcohol would somehow make it better and help me deal with it better.

What a load of bull.

If I am feeling sad or depressed over something, including death, pouring bottles of a toxic depressant into my body is NOT going to help make anything better.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss, tizzkins. Drinking won't help for long nor will it honor the memory of your brother. I'm sure he wouldn't want you to throw your life away over his death. I'm glad you are going to try again!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Perhaps some professional therapy is something to consider.
I'm in agreement with Thepatman. Some things are beyond what an online forum can do, and dealing with personal grief, ocd and drinking may be those things for you.