Notices

Is this normal?

Old 05-31-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

So 21 days sober today and I'm literally getting "alcohol dreams" EVERY night. They are awful dreams whereby I'm out drunk offending everyone causing drama etc I am then waking up at 530 in the morning in a panic thinking I have had a drink and have messed up. It takes me about 5 minutes to realise it's not real and was just a dream. Will these eventually stop? It's driving me insane and really affecting my sleep.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's a post I made about 2 weeks ago:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I woke in a panic. I was dreaming that I was in the Dominican Republic. Beautiful day. Beautiful beach. There by myself. Then in a bar by the beach. Felt the cool trade winds. And then bam. I felt it. A real craving. From deep inside my soul. WTF?! And I FELT myself quit on my sobriety.

Woke up and was scared to sh**.

There's no way I'm even thinking about drinking right now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Out of left field?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

So after waking up and getting some good input from the SR folks, I took it an event that showed me how important sobriety is for me (about 5 months in). It's a blessing, and a real "wake-up" call!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 3 weeks sober! Yes, it's normal to have drinking dreams. With more sober time they should fade and go away. I still have them sometimes after over five years. But it only reminds me that I am now sober and it was just a dream.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Lennox, I'm 41 days in and had a few alcohol dreams during the first few weeks. They were very intense just as you described and a good reminder of the horrible feeling of waking up hungover and anxious that I never have to have again. Haven't had any of those dreams lately. Hang in there, 21 days is great! Imagine how drinking again would really affect your sleep...
Old 05-31-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Drinking dreams are a normal part of recovery.

I am 12years sober and still get the odd one,usually when something is worrying me.

Congratulations on your sobriety,the dreams will lessen over time.