Notices

Not yet day 1

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not yet day 1

But have it planned for Monday when I go out of town with my sister for a week who doesn't let me misbehave . I am hoping that the support here will do along with the books I plan on reading (based on another forum here). I've never been a drinker, ever, until 3 years ago and it went from Friday to Friday & Saturday to now, only 5 days this whole year I did not drink... wow, I just said that out loud (well, typed it anyway).
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pretty much the coolest ever

I can only remember about a handful of days this whole year that I've been sober. But you know what? We got this. We're going to get a handful of sober days, then another handful, then another. No matter what.

I'm new too. Welcome!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why not make today your day one?

By Monday you'll be feeling better. Waiting will not do you any good.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Because I'm doing it Monday. I have an event tonight and tomorrow night might start Sunday though
Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
I’m reminded of my way of unsuccessful days of “trying” to stop. Each day had a reason to procrastinate which soon became a long time and almost ended very serious. I needed to WANT to get sober more than I wanted to drink and continue the misery.

BE WELL
Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, there! Welcome to SR. Hope your trip goes well.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, daylightsavings! Glad you've made the decision to quit drinking and have joined us here. There is a ton of wisdom and support available here. Sobriety is a wonderful, much more fulfilling way of life for me today.

What are you going to do after this trip when you have more events to attend and are not around your sister who won't let you misbehave? Have you told this sister that you have a drinking problem?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I was on my iPhone before and I don't like to type/text on that little keyboard. I could start today, but I know I have a 12 pack in my fridge at home I bought last night so I don't have to stop today so I can go home, put my feet up and relax. I have kids and a husband (husband drinks too but he can stop once he starts...I on the other hand keep going until it's gone or until 11:00 pm comes around in which case, I stop...and I don't know why 11:00 is the magic hour.

It's beer and red-wine for me (though if my husband has a bottle of Vodka and I am out of wine or beer and not 11:00 but not sober so I can't drive, I'll make a cocktail).

I don't know why I started this horrid journey and why for the life of me I can't stop. I quit smoking for 14 years, and I started smoking again 3 years ago, the same weekend I had my first glass of red wine that went straight to my head. It was my first drink after having gastric bypass surgery 4 years before that. I couldn't believe how GREAT it felt ... (very different from prior surgery). AND THE WORST/BEST PART????? No hangovers... ever... and before surgery, If I had more than 3 drinks I was worshiping the porcelain god.

Now I am resolved everyone morning not to drink tonight, until on the way home and think, tomorrow....

So there is more of my story. I'm very functional, though I noticed I am not as sharp cognitively as I used to be and much more forgetful. I think it's because my brain is pickled and I need to unpickle it.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hope you make the decision to pour out that 12 pack when you get home. Was your event tonight your plan to come home and drink that 12 pack until 11 pm? Doesn't sound like it's that relaxing if every morning you're making resolutions to not drink anymore. There's no better day than today to quit drinking.

Wishing you the best. We're here for you.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

Casey,

Yes, she knows.. and I don't just have a problem, I'm a full on alcoholic and I KNOW this. I went to 1 meeting. Then at the 2nd meeting, saw some folks I knew and DID NOT want them to know I drink so I didn't go back. My town is just too small and too full of gossips you know?

I am asking my husband to get rid of my porch furniture and store it so I won't have a place to sit and smoke (and drink). Also to re-arrange the furniture in the house while I am gone and maybe even scrub it clean ... so it feels new when I get home.

And read these forums and watch all of the intervention shows I can find on netflix. I don't want to ever orphan my kids.. but I am terribly afraid I will. My healthcare provider knows and she is very helpful and supportive. I actually tried therapy last year but the Therapist only talked about herself

I am determined every morning and defeated every night. I'm hoping this makes a difference (I'm so glad this is here... I am already feeling like this is possible reading all of the posts here).
Old 05-29-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, my plan was to have a couple of those beers, then join my girlfriends for book club tonight... but I"m considering skipping... seriously
Old 05-29-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

GBP, been there... Not sure whether I replaced food with alcohol, but it sure felt different after surgery, I became a full-blown alcoholic almost over night. Welcome to SR.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think you've already made the decision, why not gather your forces and say -
"I'm done."

Pour out the beer or give it away. You don't need one tonight. Really your time on Monday will be much better if you've given your body these three days to detox. It's going to be uncomfortable.

The food to alcohol or alcohol to food thing is a really common behavior transference.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Daylight, if you are planning to drink until Monday and then suddenly stop, and you've only had 5 days without alcohol this year, please be careful about withdrawal. ER/hospital I'm sure is not in your vacation plans. Stay close
Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will definitely be careful.. and definitley considering going to the movies instead of the book-club, which really should be called the wine club LOL (no alcohol at the movies).

I notice when I go too long, I do get sweaty and somewhat nauseated so you are totally right. I have been "drinking" down however (mostly) and reducing by one each day... though I am not usually successful with that on the weekends, so on Monday, cutting back goes all the way down to 3 on Thursday, but then there is Friday and Saturday where I usually don't set limits (no homework, no lunches to pack, dinner can be a pot of soup or something easy). During the week, I don't usually have my first drink until 8:00 p.m... but.... not always.

Thank you again for the encouragement. I think I am not getting any work done today but I am usually daydreaming about having a beer this time of day on Friday and right this very minute, I am dreaming about how to avoid it... so that's something.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Keep checking in, Daylightsavings. One great thing about this place is it's open 24/7.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Checking in. On my phone so typing will be brief. I decided not to wait until Monday. I'm on day 2 now. Last drink was Friday night at 11:00 pm. Yesterday was ok. chills and sweats started about 6 pm. Went to bed at 10:30 instead of 11. Woke up a few times sweaty and clammy but slept pretty good. Today I feel anxious and restless and a headache. Still sweats and chills off and on but not tempted. I also a planning on not getting out oft pjs so I won't them get in the car and then possibly drive to buy some. My husband is helping. He rubs my feet when I feel a bit panicked. Tomorrow is day 3 and a work day and then off to the conference. Happy Sunday!
Old 05-31-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome!!

Always good to have loving support from our partners

Keep posting and keep coming back!
Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's 11:00. Bedtime. Made it. Haven't had minor hand trots since this morning. Headache better. 2 days. Yay