Notices

Help - Trying not to relapse

Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Help - Trying not to relapse

Hi I'm new to the forum. Three weeks ago I went ct after taking 20 - 24 nurofen plus tablets (12.8mg codeine and 200mg ibuprofen) daily. Withdrawal was tough and I suffered mainly with RSL, insomnia and chronic lack of energy.

Now my main problem is my fear of relapsing. even though I believe my life is better I miss the codeine buzz. Will it ever get easier?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yes.

Welcome to SR.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cista - Welcome to the forum. I'm on Day 8 so I don't know yet about easier (I sure hope it gets easier) but I do know you have the strength to do this. Post lots. This group is great - you can be honest and real. Share the struggle.

Stay strong today.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exactly what Nons said, YES it will get better and easier.

You've got to give your body time to adjust.

Do what ever it takes to stay clean, you won't regret that decision.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thx for your replies. I joined the group because I needed to know there is hope to beat codeine. I went through ct alone but I think staying clean is better with wise words and encouragement from others who understand the despair and self doubt addiction can create.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats and well done on 8 days ccam1973.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cista, I was on a long term ultram prescription (tramadol) for my bad discs in my back. I was on them for over a year. I liked the way the made me feel. Especially my mood. I won't lie about that.

I went off them in 2013 and suffered miserable withdrawal. I mean really bad. Stomach pains, awful moods, difficulty concentrating, to name a few. Doctor swore up and down that tramadol isn't additive. Total BS. Just google tramadol withdrawal. It's bad.

Anyways, the stomach pain and tough physical symptoms resolved completely in 2 weeks. But the mental stuff took nearly 2 months to completely go away. Apparently, tramadol (and other pain killers) screw up serotonin balance in the brain so when you go off them there is a price to pay.

The "life is better" feeling could potentially be part of that. It definitely corrects itself over time if that is the case. But you have to pass that time without taking pills for sure. Stay strong.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Misterchill, thx for sharing. I suppose in the big scheme of things three weeks is not a long time for full recovery.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cista View Post
Congrats and well done on 8 days ccam1973.
Thanks Cista, but I think your 8 day congrats was meant for segCurly.

Stay strong and close to SR. You can do this!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It will get easier but who doesn't like the codine high - that's why we get hooked.

What we don't like is the dependency and the withdrawls when we can't score some and the overall feeling like our life is now controlled by the pills and hte lack of money and the fact that we can't go too far from our stash (no vacations unless you have a supply etc) The fact that the habit is just getting stronger and stronger.

That's why we quit and once it's been awhile the remembering the high should fade. Stay strong.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry it was meant for segcurly congrats on 8 days.

I documented all of my ct days and hope to share them one day. I found it quite therapeutic and also a definite reminder of how physically and mentally challenging withdrawal can be. But it also helped me see how after the first few really nasty days it does very slowly get better.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Cista,

I used to take that OTC codeine stuff too. The opiates gave me energy and drive, but the prison it put me in was not worth it. The prison of relying on it daily otherwise being too sick to function. I went to such great lengths to secure it.

It did get better for me. The brain naturally produces those same chemicals, but when we provide them through pills, it stops producing them and relies on the pills to bring that chemical. It can take days to weeks to months for them to get back to their proper levels. I am 5+ months clean from methadone and feel for the most part better, but learning to deal with life without chemical coping is a skill I am still learning and getting used to. Definitely worth it though!!! Never going back to opiates!
Keep up the good work and stick around here, this place helps me so much.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Justincredible I think that's my biggest problem atm - coping with life while I wait for full recover. I find when I lack energy my brain tries to rationalise using codeine to give me energy.

I nearly gave in to it two night ago. I got to the front of the pharmacy and just about walked in before I thought what the hell am I doing.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cista!!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Purpleknight
Old 05-30-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! The support here is pure awesomeness.

Rock on!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure it will get easier - especially with the support you'll find here Cista.
Never forget that relapse is not inevitable

D
Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad you're here with us Cista. You're never alone - and yes, it will get easier and better.