Notices

This is not what I thought

Old 05-28-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is not what I thought

Hi, I quit drinking thinking everything would be better. After almost 40 days, I have to say I dont feel any better.

I could not get my gf back (she broke up after my last drunk episode), I havent enjoyed parties much, I do not find anything particularly fun in life, I have been having a tremendous difficulty trying to meet new people (particularly girls), and to be a little bit honest, I am getting discouraged. I cannot drink because I am on antabuse, but this depressing lifestyle is making me want to quit sobriety.

Any advice?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have 29 more days in than me but I'm having some good luck focusing on doing the things I never liked doing after my first few drinks in the evening. I have some fun hobbies that require hand eye skills (rc planes & disc golf) that I take seriously. I've been spending a lot of time doing those things (especially during my evening "witching hour").

If you have some hobbies that you like doing when you aren't drinking, the first thing I would do is start there to find some "simple pleasure". And maybe meet some new people who enjoy doing the same things. I've met a lot of cool people flying planes at the field and on various disc golf courses. My friendships start and end at the field or course with them but I sure don't mind friendly interaction when I'm there.

Can't help with girl advice. I've been married too long.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

40 days sober is great.

Try to keep in mind that there is more to recovery than stopping drinking. Have you made any other changes in your life during this time? It's not uncommon to feel uncomfortable at parties and places where alcohol is around when we are newly sober. You may need to try some new activities to help you enjoy your new sober life.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What Anna said--just not drinking isn't the same as recovery--

You need to find some things you enjoy doing that don't involve alcohol and
start looking at the underlying issues that led to the drinking in the first place.

Sobriety is fantastic if you give it a fair shot and do the work

Well done on your 40 days
Old 05-28-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First off, 40 days is awesome. Congrats.

Part of recovery is not drinking, another part is dealing with the reasons that cause drinking, and another part is doing things that are of interest to you now that you have more time (and coordination) and energy to do.

Maybe take an art class, golf lessons, photography (I have focused on working out and photography). Anything you enjoy doing. Start with one activity and try to get good at it. It will hopefully make you feel better. And that could be one small step to keep you on the path of sobriety.

Hang in there!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

40 days! Fantastic! Just remember: this is about the time Noah saw dry land.......
Old 05-28-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Besides not drinking, I had to make changes to my life in recovery. I had to find new interests to keep me busy and had to get out of the drinking mindset.

Forty days is great but what else can you do for your recovery besides just staying sober? There's more to life, but you have to go out and find it.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you start again you will end up getting black out drunk and doing something stupid again. Your GF left you. YOU cheated on her. She set her boundary and she might be doing you a favor by showing you what alcohol causes...

Keep your eye on the price. It isn't easy but it is worth it. We make our own lives. Talk it out. This too shall pass.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey riig

like everyone else here just not drinking didn;t make my world suddenly awesome...but it did give me a solid platform to work on some other stuff.

Things were looking much better for me at 90 days that they did at 40 - I was barely over withdrawal and craving a drink then.

I'm sure you'll find the same

D
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Rigg20..... I'm sober the same as you......46 days for me ...... Hang in there w me...... I will be amazed if I get to 90 days.....I'm amazed at 46...,,,I'm actually excited about it......let's just get to 90 days and see what we think. Personally I can't remember ever being sober 90 days.......I'm looking forward to seeing what that feels and looks like.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It may very well be temporary - it was for me!

Anhedonia - Inability to Experience Pleasure

Congrats on 40 days! Keep it up!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For abstinence was the first step, but my life up until then was merely filled with plenty of time in front of the TV drinking and so take that away I was left with a whole lot of time bored out of my mind.

The second step was to rebuild a life, abstinence couldn't do that, I needed to be proactive, new hobbies, new people, new interests!!

Rome wasn't built in a day, just as a new life needs time to create!!