Notices

Need advise on housesitting for in-laws

Old 05-28-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advise on housesitting for in-laws

I have 4.5 months of sobriety. I was actually a lot stronger the first 3mo's, but have recently been having thoughts of drinking again. I've tried recently to avoid all tempting triggers, even changing channels on alcohol commercials, ect. I have to stay at my in laws house for a week starting today to watch all the farm animals. They live about 2hrs away from me, so I have to stay there. Problem is they have beer and wine in the fridges, and probably other drinks around. I haven't gotten there yet to check it out. I can't leave it in there, but I can't throw away all their alcohol. They are "normal" drinkers and don't know the extent of all my issues. I've been to embarrassed to say anything as they are the beaver cleaver type of folks. Any ideas on how to get rid of the alcohol without throwing it out? I can't hide it from myself anymore (since I've been sober anyway)?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not just ask them not to have any alcohol in the house?

They don't need to know the extent of your problems. You are doing them a favor and I feel as if it would be ok to request it.

Why not throw it away?

It's a whole lot better than drinking all their alcohol.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Less than ideal situation of course... I'd be worried too. I was going to suggest putting all booze in a box, tape it up and put out of sight, but something about that still feels off. I hope you find a good solution.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I would look up AA meetings in a town nearby to get some extra support.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that it's less than ideal. If it was me, I would be up front with them. Ask them if you can reimburse them for the alcohol and dump it out. But I was up front with everyone when I quit drinking, I wanted it out there even if people thought differently about me. I felt it was important for me to "wear" it as they say.

Many people feel differently than me about this though and it might not be an approach you like. Whatever you do though, please protect your hard earned sobriety rather than put it at risk just to get out of enduring a relatively small bit of discomfort and awkwardness.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hi Lori!

I had thoughts of drinking again many times this year - especially around the time where you are now. Not unusual.

I learned from others, here and in the rooms - I did not have to act on those thoughts. I don't get "graded" for my thoughts, just my actions.

So, I have to make sure my actions daily support my sobriety as to not act on irresponsible thoughts. Would drinking make anything better in your life today?? That was one question I'd ask myself.

It may quell the urge temporarily, but I am an alcoholic. So if I am having a bad day or a good day it really makes no difference. I am an alcoholic living life, soberly. I made that decision - today.

In laws? - where's hubby?? Can he assist in some way and is he supporting your sobriety??

Can all the hootch be sequestered in one fridge/room and simply make it off limits, period ?????

Alcohol will always be available in our lives. It's just a fact - you can deal with this and come out the other end stronger I am sure!

4.5 months ------ almost 5 is HUGE!!! Don't give that up.
Find a way. If the booze get to be too much dump it - tell hubby to write his folks a check!

Keep coming back.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You could get a friend to look after it or put it into storage. Take the temptation away

Congratulations on 4.5 months Lori
Old 05-28-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your replies, advice, and encouragement. After I got here, I scavenged the place and there was only one bottle of wine. I saw a neighbor out, and took it over and asked if he'd like to have it. He took me up on the offer. I'll let the in-laws know when they get home next week as they had left early this morning before I'd gotten a chance to talk to them. I don't think they'll mind because it wasn't an expensive bottle. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to find when I got here, but I was determined not to have it here. No amount of embarrassment from pouring out their entire stash is worth my sobriety. I have a lot to lose, and I don't ever want to go back to where I was a few months back! I'll definitely look up meetings in this area and talk to my AA friends while I'm here. Thanks again for all your support!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nicely done, lori!!!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done! That was a great solution.

I had growing pains and more thoughts of drinking at around the point you're at now. I started saying the serenity prayer a lot more, was on SR a lot more, writing a gratitude list might help. To be honest, I think I was looking for reasons to be dissatisfied. I pushed through and it did get better. You will have a lot of distraction, looking after the animals. Hard work but could be fun. Hang in there
Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good to hear, keep trucking........