Notices

I need a new bad habit. I'm thinking about vaping.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a new bad habit. I'm thinking about vaping.

I am 20 days sober and I'm 8 lbs fatter. I can't keep going on like this. I had a weight problem to begin with and it's a huge struggle to get it off at my age and with hypothyroidism, being post menopausal, yada, yada, yada.

I used to smokes cigs (and weed) so maybe if I pick up e-cigs and start using those when I would have reached for a carton of ice cream or a bag of cheese balls, I might get this under control.

What do you all think about that? Stupid or would it be proactive? I don't even care if they have nicotine in them (but I might try them), just as long as I get something out of it. Maybe something with a flavor.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No responses???
Old 05-26-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out our vaping threadhttp://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/nicotine-smoking/362917-sober-vapers-part-2-a.html Any questions can be answered there.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Check out our vaping thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html Any questions can be answered there.
Will do!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess what I started this thread for was for someone or someones to help me decide if I should do it or not. I'm not trying to quit smoking cause I quit smoking many years ago. I would be doing it because I don't know if I could ever be 100% "sin free" and I can't keep eating like I am.

Is vaping dangerous? Is it expensive? I'm looking for some inside info, I guess. Can anyone help me to maybe find a way to give it a try? Where do I start? I'm absolutely clueless and need some direction.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Sounds like a bad idea to me. While it may be less harmful than smoking cigarettes, why on earth would you want to addict yourself to nicotine again? It's an awful habit to break and is still bad for you even without the smoke. Maybe try exercise?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're not currently a smoker, starting up vaping seems like madness to me Cissy.
Nicotine is still a poison, and there will be associated health effects.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10180878.html

If you're worried about your weight a careful diet and exercise should help?

if the sin free thing is getting to you - relax...it's just the AV in a different guise

None of us recovered folk are saints - I still have plenty of bad habits

I really enjoy the heck out of my life but I've stopped being self destructive

D
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You should go rip the tags off of your mattress right now, Cissy. Maybe that'll be enough lawbreaking to quell your urge to not be such a good girl for a bit. Who was it that called you a little scamp in the class thread a couple of days ago? They knew what they were talking about!

Seriously, I have to agree with others that it doesn't seem like a real good idea to vape if you've already managed to quit smoking at some point. I'd guess the vaping would be a gateway possibly leading back to the real thing.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to do hookah in the past after getting clean...and yeah it just led back to using slowly but surely. Based upon experience- smoking ciggs, hookah, vaping ALL of it is just a gateway to your DOC. Also, I know friends in the west coast that vaped and those were the ones that relapsed.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would maybe address the eating in a healthy way. Isn't that one of the reasons we get sober? To heal our lives..not create new struggles. I have been eating a lot more than usual as well. I workout to counter act that..and if I can't do that I try to keep busy with things around the house. I would rather be a little heavier than strung out or hung over any day. You can always lose the weight but you may never have the chance at getting sober again.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I vape and began last year to get off cigs (40 yr smoker). That worked. The plan was to taper nic levels to zero and quit. I did good at reducing but not-so-good at zero nic juice. I'm holding at .3% which is low but I'm still a slave. I can't endorse e-cigs for anything but this method. My MIL tapered to zero and is holding and I have seen other successes. I've also met a lot like me holding at .3 to .6%. I see where you are going with the hand-to-mouth thing and eating but the potential for harm is a bit high. I would try something else. Nicotine addiction is a MF.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't get yourself hooked on nicotine. You may never get off of it. There are a lot more healthy ways of dealing with weight gain.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have you thought about maybe joining a gym,jogging,taking long walks,bike ridding,swimming yoga. Since quitting drinking I find I am interested in doing all kinds of things now that I was always to drunk to do before .
Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

Vaping/ecigs are great for harm reduction. I recommend it to everyone I know that smokes, but not as a hobby to start for a nonsmoker. I have seen numbers that claim that nearly 50% of retail ejuice sales (the stuff you in put in the device) are of 0% nicotine mixes.
Check out the thread , lots of good info there .
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Read a book called " The power of habit" it could change your life if you use the techniques it suggest. It has helped me tremendously.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Instead of vaping, which I have heard can cause a bad fluid build up in the lungs, try making a habit of eating healthier or exercising. A good bike ride will do wonders. I lift weights, it's my release from that days stress. Processed foods can be just as addicting as nicotine or alcohol, let's lose some weight together!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You really aren't living sin-free when you think about it. Eating cartons of ice cream and cheeseballs is not exactly healthy.

I remember back in my early years when I would do these crazy diets...some damaged my metabolism for good. I got dangerously thin and someone said, do you want to be a beautiful corpse? From then on I have had a more realistic view of eating/diets etc.

You quit drinking, huge. So you gained a few pounds... maybe over time it will level out. Vaping is dangerous. I also quit smoking in 1991 and I avoid all smoke related things. It was too damn hard to quit and I would not want to do that again.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My husband was a long-time smoker and he switched to vaping last year. He hasn't smoked since. There are lots of flavors, many of which don't have any nicotine. I don't smoke, never really did, and I will occasionally take a puff off of his vaporizor to try one of his new flavors. He does still vape with nicotine, which I don't suggest, so he is still addicted and therefore spends quite a few dollars a week on juice. That being said, it is still cheaper than cigarettes and far healthier. I gave him a horrible time for YEARS to quit smoking; now that he vapes, I rarely say a word. I would say that he averages$15-25 a week. But now that he can do it in the house (smoking was absolutely NEVER allowed in our house) he probably does vape more often than he used to smoke.

I feel your pain, Cissy. I'm very overweight and the last thing that I need is to seek out food when I'm craving a drink. I personally joined Weight Watchers a couple weeks ago to help keep myself accountable. So far, I've lost 6 pounds. It's just a matter of replacing a bad habit with a good habit.....which, as always, is easier said than done. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
IIs vaping dangerous? Is it expensive? I'm looking for some inside info, I guess. Can anyone help me to maybe find a way to give it a try? Where do I start? I'm absolutely clueless and need some direction.
Is vaping dangerous? The verdict is still out on whether or not vaping itself is dangerous, but there's a whole host of chemicals in the different mixes and nicotine is a known addictive substance of course.

Is it expensive? I have no idea, but it's certainly more expensive than NOT vaping.

If you are simply looking for a new hobby or something to "do", I personally think taking up Vaping would be a horrible choice. Why not something that is exercise related, or related to helping other people? How about learning to play an instrument?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
I am 20 days sober and I'm 8 lbs fatter. I can't keep going on like this. I had a weight problem to begin with and it's a huge struggle to get it off at my age and with hypothyroidism, being post menopausal, yada, yada, yada. I used to smokes cigs (and weed) so maybe if I pick up e-cigs and start using those when I would have reached for a carton of ice cream or a bag of cheese balls, I might get this under control. What do you all think about that? Stupid or would it be proactive? I don't even care if they have nicotine in them (but I might try them), just as long as I get something out of it. Maybe something with a flavor.
For me, vaping only reminded me of the real stuff and eventually I started smoking a pack every few days again. Same with hookah. And eventually the nicotine made me crave a stronger buzz...

I have found e-hookah cigs that have no nicotine they're basically made out of vegetable oil but they have flavors in them. It didn't do anything for me or my oral fixation but maybe you'll have better luck with them! For me, I started eating jolly ranchers or wint-o-green mints. Sounds silly but it would take me a good 5 minutes to finish one piece of candy which otherwise I would have eaten half a bag of chips. Good luck