Notices

I'm at a bar!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm at a bar!

Yes I'm at a bar.....drinking ginger ale w a friend who came w me to see a prostodonist....125 miles from my house......I just found out for sure that the denist who did my implant caused all my teeth to shift. I have been upset about this for some time.....and now I have to have the crown taken out....and braces put on for two years! Do I feel like drinking. Not even slightly....I'm just accommodating my friend. I am suffering from hunger cause I didn't eat today but that's not gonna push me over the edge because I'm on to how alcohol tricks you into drinking.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great will debbie
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know. :-/
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Have something to eat. Hunger is one of the triggers as noted in H.A.L.T:

Hungry, angry, tired, lonely.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree - eat. The ginger ale is going to cause a blood sugar spike that will lead to a crash.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbie329 View Post
Yes I'm at a bar....I'm just accommodating my friend.
How nice of you. Forgive me for questioning your motives, but maybe instead of accommodating your friend, you should be worried about your own addiction to alcohol and your personal battle to get sober. Does any place else in the area serve food? Does your friend know you're sober? If the answer is "yes" to any of those questions, I'd imagine getting out of there immediately should be no problem. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a habit you don't want to create in early sobriety. And I think you probably know that, or you wouldn't have posted this thread.

But nice job getting through it without drinking. Keep at it!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well Debbie - sorry about the teeth tho.

I have to admit I was just about to post when I read Big S's post and he makes a great point...recovery is hard - we don't need to make it harder.

maybe let your friends accomodate you for a while?

I remember getting a vicarious thrill being sober around drinkers...it was the start of the 'old thinking' again for me....

If you don't think this applies to you, that's fine - it may help someone else.

D
Old 05-26-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Ditto what bigsombrero and Dee said. It sound trite, but it's true. Hang around the barbershop long enough and you'll wind up, sooner or later, getting a haircut. There are a FEW occasions that can happen in early sobriety (sister's wedding, grandparent's funeral/wake) when it makes sense to be around drinking. IF you have a good plan and IF your head is in the right space. To do it any other time is plain foolhardy. If you're trying to prove something--to yourself or anyone else--don't bother. You don't get "points" for playing chicken.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

so...It's been a few hours. Did you get out alive and with out a drink?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
How nice of you. Forgive me for questioning your motives, but maybe instead of accommodating your friend, you should be worried about your own addiction to alcohol and your personal battle to get sober. Does any place else in the area serve food? Does your friend know you're sober? If the answer is "yes" to any of those questions, I'd imagine getting out of there immediately should be no problem. Good luck.
To each his/her own . We are FREE to go where ever we all want!
freedom is marvelous!!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone......Thanks for responding.......I knew I didn't belong there but I was certain that I didn't want anything to drink......he only had 2 beers....which I rushed .......he talked to people there.....I whipped out my iPad......texted you guys.....and read the news and my email......I was only partly there.....and he didn't mind he was in his element.

The sugar crashhhh......yes......it happened.......I started shaking.....so I ate some apple sauce quick. I'm gonna get something more substantial to eat now.

So yeah i had 2 ginger ales....and off I went.

I hope you guys are having a great day/night.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post
To each his/her own . We are FREE to go where ever we all want!
freedom is marvelous!!
I don't think anyone is suggesting she's not. What we are saying is that going to a bar when you're NEWLY sober (and don't absolutely have to be there) is kind of like getting on the ski lift the day your cast comes off. You're likely to get hurt. Yes, you're free to get on the ski lift. But a smart person would wait until the broken leg was FULLY healed.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you checked in, Debbie329. Wishing you a safe and sober and happy evening!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

Debbie, I'm glad you did ok and it was nice of you to think of your friend's thirst more than your hunger, but

For anyone attracted to this thread by the title -- I wouldn't recommend spending any more time in a bar than absolutely demanded . I think I can remember every bar I've been in full eyesight of since I quit. For me it's like daring myself, and I like to take myself up on dares. I get in a dumb head game when I'm in close proximity to hard liquor, and it's smarter just to refuse to play that one.

Just my experience. I hope other folks don't have to learn it the hard way.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't go to bars unless I absolutely have to. And when I do I drink Coke like I used to drink alcohol. About 20 per hour. I can't help it.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wouldn't recommend that anyone go to a bar either...... I didn't have to go there.....it was just easier for me..... I knew that the bar would keep my friend occupied and I wanted to be lost in thought. This is an ongoing dental issue that I have been struggling with all due to bad denistry ....... I feel a lot of anxiety over it ...... I'm still all hyped up about it. This is the 3rd pass at trying to remedy what is wrong.....the first time back in March I cried when I heard the bill. I went for a second opinion and that guy wouldn't touch me. I cried about that too. This time I did not cry.......I know what has to be done and like Owl F says.......you don't have to drink about it! I love that one......it's perfect for how I feel.....soooo I have managed a major stressor w/o collapsing......how bout that.... I could have done w/o the bar....next time.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Change people, places and things.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You did good Debbie.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the painful part of the dental stuff will be over soon