can anyone explain this or experienced this?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can anyone explain this or experienced this?

Yesterday was a strange day.

Partner had tried to taper and hadn't got very far so had booked himselfto see his doctor to do it with benzos. While trying, his withdrawal was real. Sweats, nervous, tummt trouble etc.

Meanwhile carried on drinking enough to stave off withdrawal without getting paralytic drunk - waiting for that appointment.

So-far, not surprising.

Two days ago, he started throwing up whenever he drank, like his body just wasn't having any of it. Despite throwing it all up, he didn't go into witdrawal, and he should have done.

Yesterday was the weirdest experience for both of us. He simply had no desire to drink. NONE. He was stone cold sober all day and has been today too. Not only has the desire gone, there has been no withdrawal at all. And again, there definitely should have been. He's completely normal!

Has anyone experienced something similar before? Because the only thing we can think of is answered prayer because we can't explain it any other way. it's like both the desire, the physical addiction and the high tolerance have simply vanished.

Now whether its just a temporary thing or not, I am going to enjoy it. But has this happened to anyone you know? Is there a medical reason that we should be concerned about?

I am not naive, I expect further relapses, but we can still hope for this to be long lasting.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I had to hold my nose to keep the booze down because my body was so through with it I found I also had a temporary cessation of desire to drink.

But it is temporary I expect, so I hope he uses the time to really aggressively put a real recovery program in place.

Just stopping doesn't fix anything, or at least it didn't for me.
Within a few weeks cravings were back and I was still as unhappy inside as ever, which is why I drank in the first place.

But when I got into recovery, instead of just not drinking, everything
turned around for the better

P.S. in my view, relapses are not "inevitable", but a choice like any other.
If he is really serious about quitting, he won't choose to relapse.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Mine was sort of like that. After I quit, there were difficulties, but no insurmountable urges to drink. Even as I was going through all the difficult adjustments, I really didn't WANT a drink. I wanted the stuff I used to drink over to go away, but drinking was not an option in my head.

I don't think it means everything will be rosy, nor that his desire to drink might not return. But it sounds like he is getting some relief.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, if he believes it is an answered prayer, then maybe keep praying

I know that's what changed me.