Moral and Practical Issues

Old 05-25-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moral and Practical Issues

Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello seek,

I'm so, so sorry for all you have been through lately, seek. I hope you will see brighter days ahead very soon.

My stepson has been through detox twice in a medical setting. The first time his family held an intervention of sorts and got him to go to the emergency room. I still have the journal I kept from that period of time...it was horrific. He had hallucinations and had to be sedated and strapped to the bed.

The second time he tried by himself and was found walking the streets where he lived in full blown DTs (hallucinations, small seizures, etc.). His friends there managed to take him to the ER and he was admitted. While in the hospital both times, the social workers spoke with him and with us. They assessed what resources he had and asked us what we would be willing to do. Social workers at the hospitals have seen it all and have far more information about resources than my husband and I.

It is a sad truth that if your relative does not want help, he cannot be forced to accept it. If the hospital offers and arranges rehab or sober living for him and he refuses or checks himself out against doctors recommendations, then that is, unfortunately, his right.

If my stepson showed up on my doorstep tonight drunk and in trouble, I would call an ambulance to take him to the ER. I certainly would not close the door on his face and return to doing what I had been doing. If he ran off while waiting for the ambulance to arrive, I would tell the police as much information as I could and hope that they would find him.

I think if you call for an ambulance when your relative is in deep danger from his drinking, then you have literally done what you can to help him. The paramedics have the medications and training to deal with his condition. The hospital can detox him safely. Then, the social workers at the hospital can provide him and you, if you would like, with additional information about options.

Plus, once you have called for an ambulance one time, he might not show up at your door any more--especially if he does not want to go to the hospital. At least then he would not be bringing his drama to your doorstep.