Notices

Recovery Plan

Old 05-24-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Plan

It just occurred to me while reading the posts that I don't have a recovery plan. I have managed to stay sober 6 weeks.....but what else have I accomplish? I've work...I've been more patient w my clients....I've refused to bring on troublesome clients...troublesome clients are relapse risks....I'll forgo the cash. I have not been following a gym schedule but I am eating very healthy. But what about other things. I think it's time to put together a real recovery plan w both measurable and non measurable goals. Like a 6 months goal list and a 1 year goal list. I'd like to hear about other people's experience w recovery plans.

Debbie
Old 05-24-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie,

Mine was pretty simple. One day at a time. Don't drink that first drink. I suspect though, that this is not what you're after?

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-24-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My recovery plan was holistic,
therapy,
exercise,
and plant based , sugar free nutrition.

out of that , other areas in my life grew
Old 05-24-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I bought some poster sized paper, split it into 3 columns, and made a list of short, mid and long term goals for myself. Then I taped it to the wall in my office just above my computer, so it's staring at me. Hasn't helped me much though.

The short-term goals are just simple things -- finish project A, get started on project B, buy some new clothes, fence off & reseed the part of the yard the dogs scraped to hell, hire someone to crawl around in my roof / attic, and kick out whatever is living up there, etc.

Mid term are things that aren't urgent, but need to be taken care of, and sooner the better. For example, stop being an illegal immigrant, and get some valid ID that proves I'm Canadian. Right now, the only thing I have proving I'm Canadian is a pa$$port that expired over a year ago. Not good. Then other things, like move to South America, etc.

The long-term are other things, like purchase some office space in South America, get setup with some good employees, and offer some cool technological solutions to the world. Who knows, maybe even fall in love again.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone says you need a plan...but no one ever is able to state just what a plan looks like, what it contains, and how exactly it works.

I think working to figure out what a plan is---that attempt to work it out is what keeps you sober.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine began with planning SR into my day, when I woke up, at my lunch break, when I got home from work, and before I went to bed!!

That kept me focused on the task at hand in early Sobriety, and gave me a foundation to build from there!!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would be interested in seeing some other people's plans too.

I sort of make a plan for a fortnight or so but not much long term planning because I am scared of 'tempting fate' (even though I am not a superstitious sort of person)
Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The evolution of my plan...

It started with twenty days of IOP (intensive outpatient), some AA meetings (which were encouraged in the IOP program), some individual counseling with a therapist, exercise, healthier eating, vitamins, reading lots and lots of different recovery books (which I have listed on my profile page here), SR of course (reading & regular posting), and daily devotional readings from a few different books.

Later on I dropped the AA meetings but I continued to read some of the literature, I started meditating, I loosened up my rigid eating and exercise plan to something more enjoyable and sustainable, I posted less frequently here at SR... and most importantly, I began to reconstruct my life and lay out both short and long term goals and plans. I started back reading and writing. My reading comprehension improved greatly over a two year span. I spend more time writing than ever before.

I have now begun some small biz endeavors.

I started planting things in my yard and cleaned up my house. I completely revamped my clothes closet. My book collection continues to grow and is filled with all the books I could possibly ever read in this lifetime. I began a tea collection and am now journaling and documenting my thoughts about the different teas I try.

I adopted two beagle dogs. They are my kids. They teach me how to live in the now and appreciate what really matters in this life - fresh air to breathe, food to eat, time for play and exercise, cuddling, and love

My husband and I are paying off our credit cards and getting ready to fix up our house so that we can rent it out. We will then build a cabin on some land. That is our ultimate long-term goal. My personal goals include more world travel. I haven't been to nearly enough countries yet!

So my recovery plan evolved over the past two years and works well for me. I believe that staying open to change, being willing to try new things, learning to be kind to yourself, and embracing the differences you see in others, and being willing to tweak things as you go along is important.

Being honest with myself is another thing. Being willing to accept feedback. And being ok with sitting in discomfort. Those are all big things I had to learn.

Here are the programs I have used and continue to incorporate at least a part of into my daily life:
SMART
Women For Sobriety
RR/AVRT
AA
Old 05-24-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone....I had a long reply but I got booted off the wifi and lost it all. I'm doing a little bit of what others are doing for the most part. I'm looking to strike a balance right now I'm a little lopsided cause im so focused on not drinking. I don't want to be focused on not drinking I want it to be second nature. I wanna recover my former self.....but w a whole different approach and attitude. I got some good ideas from you guys......to Troy ...... I got a white board......I have some stuff there....greens......I got a therapist and meds so I got that.......Jennie.....reconstruction........I like that idea......a lot........I guess I'll have to decide what I want my life to look like and go from there.......I'll have to think about that.....the possibilities are endless!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My recovery plan was daily visits here, and weekly counseling sessions with my addiction counselor. I saw the counselor for 7 yrs and now don't see her anymore as I've been sober long enough to keep it up on my own. But she was very helpful to me while I was seeing her.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Theese are fantastic links designed to help structure a sobriety plan print them if you like

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 05-24-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

^ Do read those links above Debbie - particularly the first one - there's some great info on plans there

D