Notices

Day 1

Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi,

Trying again after failing yesterday. I am trying to plan ahead my next week. And my problem is that my boyfriend drinks, not like I do, and of course I canīt stop him. He only drinks on weekends and I already worry about next Saturday. He wants us to go out to this place where they play music and wine is flooding. I really feel like I need to stay home if I am supposed to stay sober. He doesīt think I have a problem, I have a job, kids et c so how could I be an alcoholic... Also I really donīt feel like going out even if I would be able to stay sober, people drinking are not that fun and he always snores when drinking. If I am passed out I donīt notice, but otherwise I just hate it.

Sorry for the rambling...
Old 05-24-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there Teresia,

Good to see that you're getting back on your bicycle.

In the early days it is a good idea to distance yourself from drinking. Have you sat your boyfriend down and explained, really explained, to him your reasons for not wanting to drink?

Best of luck.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Teresia. If you do not want to go to this event next Saturday, then you should not go. It does not sound like it is somewhere I'd want to be in early sobriety. It is not up to your boyfriend to decide if you think you have a problem with alcohol.

Wishing you the best for a happy and sober Sunday.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Teresia.

Congratulations on deciding to quit

Agree with what the others have have said, you need to stay away from drink and drinkers for a while.

It sounds like your boyfriend either doesn't believe that you are serious or doesn't want to believe that you are serious because he will lose a drinking buddy.

You are not being selfish in choosing not to go
Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe you need a new boyfriend!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Teresia!!

For me, I needed to do what I needed to do to remain Sober, make tough decisions on the activities to get involved in, go with what YOU think you need to do to remain Sober!!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Teresia and welcome.

Stick around, you'll find it really helpful here. I can only reiterate the advice you have already been given, I'm on day 4 and I'm nowhere near ready to be out and about where there is alcohol.

Do what you need to do to protect yourself.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe it's time to have a hard time with your boyfriend about you wanting to quit drinking all together. I don't think you should find a boyfriend if he does want to stop drinking around you. May need to stay away from places with he does drink alcohol. He may or maybe get the the point that you want to stop. Good luck with your sobriety and I hope your boyfriend understand or at least gets the point about the issue you have.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advise. I will talk to him before Saturday. I will drive if I decide to go, and then return to my own place when I want to. Luckily we do not live together...
Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you posted Teresia. Lean on us - we are here to encourage you as you give it another try. You can get free.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I plan on starting a diet tomorrow, I think that healthy eating and loosing some weight might motivate me. I did this in june a couple of years ago and felt great. Also exercise takes the mind of all obsessive thoughts about alcohol. I think if I treat my body well otherwise, the threshold to drink again will rise as I wouldīt want to ruin it. Am I making any sense here,..?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by Teresia View Post
Thanks for the advise. I will talk to him before Saturday. I will drive if I decide to go, and then return to my own place when I want to. Luckily we do not live together...
Sound like a good plan.

My partner is a heavy drinker who wasn't happy when I decided to quit drinking, but I quit anyway. You keep taking care of yourself regardless of what your boyfriend says or does.......and do whatever it takes to guard your sobriety.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Teresia
Old 05-24-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!