Notices

I reluctantly agree

Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I reluctantly agree

I have agreed to go to AA's , my therapist in Skype said that this was part of me 'getting better ' I told her how much I hated the idea and yet she just smiled and said ' you need to do this ' GRRRRRR!!!!

I do not know why I am so against going really I don't but I know I need to as im just not beating this addiction on my own, yes I drank yet AGAIN!

I kinda feel like a baby throwing his toys outta the pram right now!

Sorry guys im just going on and on and on, just venting and expressing I guess!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I have agreed to go to AA's , my therapist in Skype said that this was part of me 'getting better ' I told her how much I hated the idea and yet she just smiled and said ' you need to do this ' GRRRRRR!!!!

I do not know why I am so against going really I don't but I know I need to as im just not beating this addiction on my own, yes I drank yet AGAIN!

I am the same way. read my post about being one of this people. It took alot of bad things to happen for me to realize it is necessary to have help. I tried everything on my own I didn't need help or so I thought. You need to be able to talk to people. I hit rock bottom so to say. (It can always be worse). I wish I could have seen the future I would have stopped earlier
But that's what it took for me to give up and give in. I tried it a few times before I stopped drinking didn't like it And said f@$÷ it I don't need this and went right back to what I doing years later I am in a world of hell because of it. You need to just let go previous judgment of programs and just use them no addict is special we are all equal. Once you relize your no better than anyone else and honestly try to do the program you will succeed. You have to or else you would just be giving up on yourself. Only you can do it and If you fall off then dust yourself over and get back up.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you drank again, I'd say it's time to try something new to stay sober.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kernalsand3rs88 View Post
I am the same way. read my post about being one of this people. It took alot of bad things to happen for me to realize it is necessary to have help. I tried everything on my own I didn't need help or so I thought. You need to be able to talk to people. I hit rock bottom so to say. (It can always be worse). I wish I could have seen the future I would have stopped earlier
But that's what it took for me to give up and give in. I tried it a few times before I stopped drinking didn't like it And said f@$÷ it I don't need this and went right back to what I doing years later I am in a world of hell because of it. You need to just let go previous judgment of programs and just use them no addict is special we are all equal. Once you relize your no better than anyone else and honestly try to do the program you will succeed. If you fall off then dust yourself over and get back up.
It might very well be pride and arrogance in my case however I DID promise my therapist that I will follow her instructions so I shall do so!

Maybe I am scared of meetings and unwilling to admit it who knows, either way I gotta go now! Thanks for the reply
Old 05-23-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just take what you like and leave the rest
Old 05-23-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
If you drank again, I'd say it's time to try something new to stay sober.
Im goona go to AA's.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im sorry if my thread comes across as offensive towards folks in AA that's not my intention ! Just wanna say that!
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you've made the decision to respect the promise you made your therapist. Let us know how it went! Wishing you the best today...
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is the largest organization in the world comprised entirely of people who didn't want to be a member
Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might find you like it a lot Chilled. Give it a go anyway

D
Old 05-23-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One of the reasons you don't want to go is because your addiction is terrified it might work
Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-doesnt.html
Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I resisted going to AA for years although I knew I had a drinking problem

I tried to quit and/or cut back on my drinking many times, using every method I could think off. Nothing worked, and my wife had, had it. So I went to AA.

I'm not a hard core AA member, but AA and this website has helped me to get and stay sober for several years now. I should have done it sooner.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
AA is the largest organization in the world comprised entirely of people who didn't want to be a member
Lol. Never heard that before. Funny, and accurate.

To the OP, I didn't take your post as AA bashing at all. Happy you're going to give it a go. I'm a firm believer that we grow out of this illness by doing things that cut against our grain. If we did only what was comfortable or felt right, we wouldn't be changing much. I am certain I needed to change lots to live a happy sober life.

I wish you the best. The more of an open mind you have walking in, the more you'll be able to get out of each step. Willingness helps too, it seems you already have that.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know I've mentioned this to you before, Chilledice, but have you looked at AVRT? If not it's something you should at least investigate. But I am not knocking AA, either.

They say insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results! If that's true then AA is probably worth a shot. You have been struggling with this for a long time, Chilledice. I have seen you get a pretty good string of days together, then fall off the wagon. I don't doubt your sincerity, but if what you're doing isn't working then it's time to try something else.

I do want to say though that you can do this!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Chilled
Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
I know I've mentioned this to you before, Chilledice, but have you looked at AVRT? If not it's something you should at least investigate. But I am not knocking AA, either.

They say insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results! If that's true then AA is probably worth a shot. You have been struggling with this for a long time, Chilledice. I have seen you get a pretty good string of days together, then fall off the wagon. I don't doubt your sincerity, but if what you're doing isn't working then it's time to try something else.

I do want to say though that you can do this!
I have used AVRT before but maybe not with enough zeal and enthusiasm, im actually reading up on it right now

I have to write stuff down and email it to my therapist today ughhhh NOT looking forward to THAT I can tell ya!

Anyways I am sober today and shall be looking up meetings in my area
Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I've never heard it put like this. Very accurate for me at least!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Chilled

I think it's great that you're communicating with your therapist and willing to push forward.

Let us know how you get on!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Realising my life

You've got nothing to lose by trying it, Chilled, and potentially everything to gain. The fact that you're now willing to try something you've always resisted is a measure of your commitment

You won't be the only reluctant person to go! Please let us know how you're doing - you could very well save other lives in the process