Notices

I am afraid I'm one of "those" people

Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am afraid I'm one of "those" people

Thinking that I am unique and better than the people at aa ect. has probably been one of the reasons that I have always had epic fail trying to put down the bottle. I mean I knew I had a drinking problem but it wasn't that bad right? I don't need help this is normal all the guys drink like me right? So what if it runs in the family I'm different? Once I was sentenced to jail because of drinking I knew that all that was false. I never seriously made the decision to quit until I was in a cell. There were 16 people to my cell but it was the loneliest place I have ever been. I knew at that moment when I first walked through those gates that the only way in hell I'm not coming back here for sure is to become a sober man. Throughout my life I have never chose to learn the easy way And I always felt so smart smarter
Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Alcohol. The great equalizer. None of us better or worse just addicted.

Glad you came to that conclusion as well
Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand exactly how you felt. For the longest time I thought my oxy addiction was not a problem, after all I had an Rx, I wasn't on the street 'buying drugs'!!
When I realized I couldn't stop, I was using more and more, I wasn't taking them for any of the right reasons, I finally realized that drug addiction is drug addiction. The same for everyone. It doesn't matter what the drug is or how it's obtained. Drugs do not care who you are!!

...Ruby...
Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing I realized about AA is there was a ton of people who were leading happy sober lives and I wasn't. It was a humbling experience when I wanted what they had and they sure as hell didn't want what I had.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was special and different too. I wasn't one of 'those people' either.

Only I was. When I eventually was able to accept this, I found long lasting sobriety and peace of mind.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There's a quote about being the best version of yourself that I try and remember when I have the tendency to compare my life with those around me. I am only in competition with myself. And that applies to my addiction and my recovery
Old 05-23-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kernalsand3rs88 View Post
Thinking that I am unique and better than the people at aa ect. has probably been one of the reasons that I have always had epic fail trying to put down the bottle. I mean I knew I had a drinking problem but it wasn't that bad right? I don't need help this is normal all the guys drink like me right? So what if it runs in the family I'm different? Once I was sentenced to jail because of drinking I knew that all that was false. I never seriously made the decision to quit until I was in a cell. There were 16 people to my cell but it was the loneliest place I have ever been. I knew at that moment when I first walked through those gates that the only way in hell I'm not coming back here for sure is to become a sober man. Throughout my life I have never chose to learn the easy way And I always felt so smart smarter
I got cut off here I finally realized I am one of these people and it was like I have seen the light. I am not going to give up on sobriety because that would be giving up on myself