Notices

Your motivations for quitting (more than 20?)

Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your motivations for quitting (more than 20?)

i read this thing about finding motivation and having to dig deep and finding more than one motivation ..Just curious if any of you trying to quit had to dig deep and found multiple reasons to quit to keep you on track ?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Health
happiness
connection with others
An ability to remain present
learning accountability
self esteem
extra spending cash
I actually enjoy mornings now
not having to retrace my steps from last night
I've gained several new hobbies and interests I never would have starTed while drinking
finding joy in the little things
learning how to name my feelings
Learning to finishing projects and following through

out of all of these things health has been the greatest motivator for me . That of course includes my emotional and spiritual health too
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The reasons go on and on. I want to be someone people can trust and rely on, I want to be in control of my life, I want to be a great employee, I want to feel healthy, I want to be mentally as sharp as I possibly can be, I want to be a good sister, I want to finish my education, I want to be a compassionate kind wife, I want to be a good friend...
Old 05-22-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was pretty simple for me. I finally decided I didn't want to die drunk before my 50th birthday. I didn't want my every choice determined by booze, and I wanted to get control of my life. And I didn't want to hate myself all the time.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

amen
Old 05-22-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My motivation was not wanting to die...then not wanting to die 'that way'.

How many motivations can you come up with arieslee?

D
Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Drinking was interfering with my sober lifestyle.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going to start on that list today Dee one of the reasons i think up right now is i'm tired of feeling tired all the time
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good thread, thanks for the post and welcome!

There were indeed multiple motivators but all fell into basically three categories.

I was losing Body, Mind and Soul. My values and beliefs were no longer aligned with my actions and behaviors.

I went to the "sober chiropractor" and while we are still working on issues life has become much better aligned!

Again, thanks for the thread!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No kidding. My step father was an alcoholic (just like my dad). He died from bleeding esophageal varices. I was visiting my mother in Michigan when it happened. He went into the bathroom and basically bled to death. The ambulance put him in a pressure suit but it was too late. It was one of the most horrible things I have ever witnessed. He was only 53. That was directly related to his severe cirrhosis.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
It was pretty simple for me. I finally decided I didn't want to die drunk before my 50th birthday. I didn't want my every choice determined by booze, and I wanted to get control of my life. And I didn't want to hate myself all the time.
It could be writing this........ thank you!
I also want to be around and present for my daughter and to stop hating myself and stop missing so much of my life..... 50 later this year and don't want to be an alcoholic pensioner / older person. Maybe there's also a chance to regain some decent health, maybe it's not too late. I also want to lose the shame.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and feeling like **** everyday! That's my motivation.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My most recent reason is my boyfriend would tell me something one night when I was drunk and I would completely forget what he said the next day. I kept letting him down again and again and again.
Overall, I'm quitting for myself, but alcohol had made me into a lousy girlfriend, daughter, and friend, and that's just so unfair to my loved ones. They deserve SO much better.
I also don't like being hungover every day, I don't like being pudgy and bloated, I don't like spending $$$$ every week, and I don't like having zero motivation to do anything.
I could probably go on and on for practically forever.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

I knew I was an Alcoholic.

Alcoholism killed my Mother.

I believed what I was told,there are only two ways for an Alcoholic to go.Drink and die or stop drinking and live.

I have lost count of the number of people I have known who have chosen the first option.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Long list of reasons but absolute #1 is health and my future goals.

46 years old with hypertension (that I just went on potentially lifelong meds for), high cholesterol, and recent blood work showed the perfect handful of abnormalities caused specifically from chronic heavy drinking. It's all related to drinking and I know it. And I'm scared.

My wife and I have a 10 year plan to sell the house and move lakefront for peaceful/quiet living to finish our careers. That plan stands no chance if I don't draw the line. I would never forgive myself if I ruined our dream with chronic disease from lifestyle.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

How many motivations can you come up with arieslee?

D
My progression of drinking always led to me wanting to die and thinking that it was a really good idea. If I don't drink, I don't want to die. My main motivation is hope and with that comes the rest of them.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
My progression of drinking always led to me wanting to die and thinking that it was a really good idea. If I don't drink, I don't want to die. My main motivation is hope and with that comes the rest of them.
Man, that sounds familiar.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Health was a big one. I was constantly drained and light headed all day. I was a crappy employee that just did enough to keep my head above water. On the exterior I might have looked like a good husband and father but I wasn't. I was either drunk or hungover. Constantly. Never an in between. Now I'm fun again. Have regained my personality, work ethic and sense of adventure. I rarely think about drinking anymore and it's a freeing feeling. Headed to the coast of florida tomorrow with family and friends. Enjoy the weekend everyone. Make memories..that you will remember
Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of my biggest motivations to get and stay sober was that while I was drinking, I wasn't taking good care of my dogs and cats. I wanted to be a better mom to them.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Health and being able to see my kids grow up. I also don't want to encourage my kids to drink. If I don't stop, then I feel I am ultimately letting them know that it is ok / normal if they drink.

What they don't know; too young; is that we have a long line of alcoholics in our family; me included. I don't want to contribute even 1% to my kids having to go through what I've been through in the past 20+ years of heavy drinking. Not to say that the past 20 years is all bad, but I am definitely lucky to still be here today.

Life is SOOOOO much more enjoyable being sober. I just want my kids to know that being sober is "normal", not the other way around.

Good job starting on your list Arieslee. When you make it, keep it handy and refer to it often.

We are here to help motivate you! Lean on us as much as you need.