Notices

Last chance

Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last chance

Hello everyone. I'm on day one of my new sober life and I've decided to try something different this time. I had about 10 months sober when I started drinking again in January. I thought I could control myself and we all know how well that works out. I could feel my drinking getting worse and I knew it was only a matter of time before I lost complete control. That finally happened on Tuesday and I can only remember bits and pieces of the last two days. Luckily I have Tuesday and Wednesday off work so no work was missed in my binge drinking escapade. Now I'm withdrawling and can't sleep and have to work tonight. I am absolutely hating myself right now for drinking my weekend away and disappointing my boyfriend once again. He told me this is my last chance to get and stay sober or he is leaving. I'm honestly surprised he is giving me another chance. My guess is that he only is because we just bought a house together. Some girlfriend I am we are talking about having babies and getting married and I can't even stay sober. I have to this time because I'm afraid I will not survive another day of drinking. The little that I remember from the past two days is that I was contemplating some very scary stuff. I remember how happy I was when I was not drinking and I really wished I would have never started again. I'm hoping when I hit 10 months sober this time, this post will save me from slipping again. I got on here a little bit last time I got sober but never posted anything. I've got to try something different this time because I don't want to be where I am right now ever again. I think I'm rambling now so I will stop but I do look forward to being part of what appears to be a very supportive community.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome odisnow. You've made a good decision.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome (back) to SR!

The good news is you don't ever have to feel this way again. You just have to stop believing that voice in your head that says next time will be different.

Hope you get a little sleep today!

You can do this.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR odisnow. Congrats on your 10 months, that's something you need to remember that you accomplished despite your return to drinking. You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, hope we can help you put together a plan to get back on track. The addiction/AV never really goes away for good..it just hides so you need to be prepared when it comes back to the surface.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm so glad you decided to post and share your journey. It's great that you had 10 sober months and I know you can do it again.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks to each of you for reading my post and taking the time to reply. I do need to come up with a plan. Last time I didn't really struggle in the beginning. I enjoyed being sober. I started struggling through the holidays because everyone was drinking and I felt left out because I wasn't drinking. My boyfriend drinks a couple beers everyday so there is always alcohol in the house. That never bothered me. At home when he was drinking, I drank hot chocolate. Have any of you dealt with the feeling of being left out because your not drinking?
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I can relate to the feelings of being left out, sure. It crossed my mind this weekend, when I saw one of our friends with beer, that I was missing out on the "lake experience" by not being able to drink.

But I analyze what is actually going on here... it's my addiction talking, of course. And then I go further with it... what exactly am I missing out on? The buzz? Well, yeah. But much more than that too... I am missing out on being drunk, blacking out, tripping and falling, slurring my speech, embarrassing myself and all those around me, waking up not remembering much the next day, possibly puking in the toilet, a splitting headache, and then trying to piece together what happened and making the phone calls to smooth things over.

So, yeah, missing out on all that And then I realize, one or two drinks to get a buzz (which might not even happen due to high tolerance) might be an hour long thing... and then there's all that hell to pay for it. I'll be racked with guilt and ready to drown my sorrows the next day or two, which will get the balling rolling again toward active alcoholism.

So, I have to remind myself of the entire picture The larger perspective is that it's a terrible idea for me to have a few.

Welcome to the forum. Figuring out a plan now is the smartest thing you can do
Old 05-21-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Welcome to SR!

I can relate to the feelings of being left out, sure. It crossed my mind this weekend, when I saw one of our friends with beer, that I was missing out on the "lake experience" by not being able to drink.

But I analyze what is actually going on here... it's my addiction talking, of course. And then I go further with it... what exactly am I missing out on? The buzz? Well, yeah. But much more than that too... I am missing out on being drunk, blacking out, tripping and falling, slurring my speech, embarrassing myself and all those around me, waking up not remembering much the next day, possibly puking in the toilet, a splitting headache, and then trying to piece together what happened and making the phone calls to smooth things over.

So, yeah, missing out on all that And then I realize, one or two drinks to get a buzz (which might not even happen due to high tolerance) might be an hour long thing... and then there's all that hell to pay for it. I'll be racked with guilt and ready to drown my sorrows the next day or two, which will get the balling rolling again toward active alcoholism.

So, I have to remind myself of the entire picture The larger perspective is that it's a terrible idea for me to have a few.

Welcome to the forum. Figuring out a plan now is the smartest thing you can do
Could not have put it better myself. 😊
Old 05-21-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you are correct that's exactly what it would turn into for me. I will keep that in mind next time I'm feeling left out and remind myself that I can't have just one because that will eventually become me drinking my weekend away or worse.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Odisnow. This community is a great source for support. Don't be shy about being active either. Each time I relapsed I found I spent less and less time here at SR.

You've got the power to make this change for good.

Glad you found us.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Odisnow! Sounds like you're ready to make a change. This is a great place to get some support and wisdom from folks from all over the world who understand what addiction and sobriety both are about.

Glad you've already joined us in the Class of May 2015. Look forward to getting to know you better!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 05-23-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Odisnow!!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! I made it three months and thought "what is the harm in a glass of wine," there wouldn't have been any harm if I had stopped at one glass!! Glad you are here, I am on day five.