Notices

Hello there

Old 05-21-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello there

I am new to the forums and looking forward to getting to know people. I am having enormous trouble forgiving myself for an "adulthood" filled with stupid choices. Some say addiction is a disease and some say it isn't. Regardless, I feel very ashamed.

Anyone else struggle with this?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

Many of us make mistakes but we can learn from them and try not to repeat them. Beating up on ourself is fruitless and can lead to more mistakes if we partake in drinking.
Try to go forward and be human and not expect normal life to be perfect in our actions.

BE WELL
Old 05-21-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi dreamy....I'm new to this forum.....I have 39 days.....I was just thinking last night that alcoholism is a vicious cycle and how I used to do some of the most shameful things when I was drunk....that when I was sober Id obsess about what an ******* I was.....omg....people must be talking about me......I wouldn't come out of my house. And then I'd get drunk and do it again. I indulged in that behavior for YEARS.....just imagine that. I'm making up for lost time here.....that was not me......this is me......sober productive healthy and yes even sometimes happy. Welcome aboard!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Regardless, I feel very ashamed.

Yes. I found building a solid record of better choices did wonders for alleviating my guilt and shame

Welcome to Sober Recovery.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the advice and encouragement.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It was hard to forgive myself for my stupid choices, but the longer I stayed sober, the easier it got.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
I am new to the forums and looking forward to getting to know people. I am having enormous trouble forgiving myself for an "adulthood" filled with stupid choices. Some say addiction is a disease and some say it isn't. Regardless, I feel very ashamed.

I usually don't like to speak for everyone, but I bet I can say with pretty darn near certainty that there are a LOT of us who struggle with this. We've all made choices that were wrong for us, or have loved ones that did, or we wouldn't be here.

You've come to the right place. Stick around here Dreamy, you will learn a lot. And post away. At first I just lurked but when I started posting, even just a reply on other's threads that I had no real advice but I know where they are coming from, I started to feel like part of the community.

Welcome
Old 05-21-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome Dreamy! Yes, of course I have tons of regrets about choices made while drinking. Which is why I try to live in the present today. I know that quitting drinking is not the be-all, end-all answer to my life's problems, but it's the necessary first step.

There's a ton of great support and wisdom to be found on these forums. Glad you found us and looking forward to getting to know you better.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dreamy!!