Notices

1 Week Today

Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 Week Today

Well it has been 1 week again since I binged but I feel like crap. Is it normal to feel unmotivated and just thinking about drinking as my cravings lasted all day yesterday and are still there today..
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeoGuest View Post
Well it has been 1 week again since I binged but I feel like crap. Is it normal to feel unmotivated and just thinking about drinking as my cravings lasted all day yesterday and are still there today..
Well done on one week.......It is very normal to go through the cravings and various other feelings during the first period of sobriety. Just keep at it and believe me you will start feeling better with each passing day.

Good luck
Old 05-21-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

The cravings will get less intense as more time passes... Congrats for one week!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
The cravings will get less intense as more time passes... Congrats for one week!
I hope so because they are hell at the moment..
Old 05-21-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Cravings suck! I just brought that up in an AA meeting the other day. Someone said cravings only really last less than 10 minutes. If they last longer than that it's because we are "entertaining" the thought of drinking and giving the alcohol power.

The advice given to me was to stop doing what I'm doing at that moment during the craving and do something completely different like go for a walk, meditate, get something to eat, go shopping, go to an AA meeting...etc.

Have you tried that? :-)
Old 05-21-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

Hang in there you’ll feel much better with time.

I needed to learn that if I didn’t pick up the first drink I wouldn’t have to TRY to get sober AGAIN one day at a time in a row.

It also helps to NOT think about drinking. I focused on many different things with great success.

BE WELL
Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Hi there,

Cravings suck! I just brought that up in an AA meeting the other day. Someone said cravings only really last less than 10 minutes. If they last longer than that it's because we are "entertaining" the thought of drinking and giving the alcohol power.

The advice given to me was to stop doing what I'm doing at that moment during the craving and do something completely different like go for a walk, meditate, get something to eat, go shopping, go to an AA meeting...etc.

Yes I am finding that if I don't entertain the thought it is easing a bit...Yesterday was rough and I hope they ease up each day because a craving lasting 10 minutes would be heaven lol
Old 05-21-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Hi there,

This is great advice. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think trying to distract yourself, if only for a few minutes, helps. Remember they are just feelings and they don't control you.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a quick hello to let you guys know I stuck it out and feel much better today. I have a lot less anxiety and cravings are not as bad... Thanks for the support
Old 05-22-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeoGuest View Post
Just a quick hello to let you guys know I stuck it out and feel much better today. I have a lot less anxiety and cravings are not as bad... Thanks for the support

That is seriously awesome. Really, that is awesome. One day, 4 days, one week... All AWESOME feelings! Well done, and in early recovery that is quite a feat! You can feel like this ALL the time as it gets easier and easier as time goes by ("easier" as in... More tolerable) the obsession can and will lift.

Amazing amazing amazing job on 1 week. :-)
Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

One week is great but 2 and 3 will be here before you know it. Make it a sober summer and you will enjoy it more. It does take a while to feel normal again so don't get too frustrated.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember being so excited to have a week sober, so congratulations I agree with above advice, take a walk, run an errand...do something to change the focus on your attention. I took ALOT of walks in early sobriety - LOL .
Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great! Good job!
Old 05-22-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks