Notices

And the pressure builds......

Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And the pressure builds......

For anyone who has followed my story or those who havn't a quick recap......

Last summer I fell while working on duty ..... I sprained my knee and after a bunch of tests it was found that there are other more serious issues going on there. Nevertheless the sprain was a result of the fall and it aggravated the other problems that I was not aware of.

I filed a WSIB (workers safety insurance board) claim because I wasn't a full time employee yet and don't have any benefits... it's union and it takes time to get on full time. While I waited for the WSIB claim I went on EI (unemployment insurance). WSIB was declined MONTHS later. They said that my injuries weren't conducive with the fall and that I had waited too long to seek medical attention. The latter may have some validity..... I did wait a week.... I thought it wasn't as serious as it was and I messed it up. If I could go back in time I would have played it very differently. The former is utter nonsense and I'm am still fighting the fight to this day.

I went back to work after being off all summer last year.... barely getting around cuz I couldn't walk. I went back to work in the fall and worked all winter until 4 weeks ago.

Flash forward to today. I have been laid off work because I have been on modifies duties ever since. This time of year my work slows down and they have no modified duties for me. I just tried to reactivate my EI claim and I was given the biggest run around!

They really have me by the curly's!

In order to reactive the claim I need to have a doctors note saying that I am ready and available for full time duties with minimal restrictions........

I can't say that because I have a pending WSIB claim and I do indeed have restrictions.

I can't get caught with my pants down by WSIB or my employer! I can't say that I am GGG (good giving game) regarding work when the reality is that I'm not.

I can't get hurt again! A year later and I'm still not physically ok! What if I get hurt again? Where will that leave me? My claim will be down the toilet.... they will say that I knew I was hurt but I did it anyways.

This is not a game! What will I do with no money coming in?

Like my title says the pressure is building! If no money keeps coming it me and my family are fcuked!! I have been applying for other work but it's not the kind of thing that happens immediately.

This is the kind of situation that social government programs are designed for. When I went to see my doctor this morning to get the letter she was livid that this was happening to me. To US really, I have a family!

I just did a budget and I will be ok for another month and then I will have to start putting the bills on credit.

I have worked my whole life and never sucked from the system and now that I need it it has failed me.

Tomorrow my plan is to find a lawyer. I will pay for it on credit.

But my back is up against the wall.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Right there with ya - I have a lot of debt that will be difficult to pay off. Ended up starting a couple small businesses as I am too old for anyone to hire and too young to retire.......... These factors were / still are to a degree - highly stressful.

All I can do is my best each day. I keep my faith that things will work out. I give it my best effort whatever is put in front of me today. I have always had a roof over my head and food to eat and believe life will be ok.......

Oh yea, I don't drink over it - cause if I think I have problems now, just wait till I drink several liters of vodka.

Sorry for your woes, you are not alone!
Old 05-20-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah Flyn.

That was more venting than anything else.

I will figure it out! It will work out. I live in Canada in the land of plenty

And I am resourceful.

Can't say that I'm not stressed right out today though.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that I am not alone in money woes. Doesn't seem right when I have always worked so hard.........
Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to read about what you're going through, both financially and physically. I would absolutely contact an attorney who handles cases similar to yours; the stakes are high and you really need an expert. FYI, I have a friend who is going through a similar situation and I gave her the same advice.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And I am drinking.

I am 3 beers in.

I still can't stay sober for longer that 4 or 5 days. Although I can say that before joining this site I was drinking everyday. Now it's more like twice a week. I don't know anymore what my goal is...... twice a week I can live with. I never ever want to go back to daily alcohol abuse.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I'm sorry to read about what you're going through, both financially and physically. I would absolutely contact an attorney who handles cases similar to yours; the stakes are high and you really need an expert. FYI, I have a friend who is going through a similar situation and I gave her the same advice.

I remember talking about this with you before.

I scheduled appts with lawyers back then but never followed through.... at the time I was working 10-12 hour days starting in the middle of the night.

Since I am off work twiddling my thumbs I have the time and motivation to take the gloves off and fight!

You are right I need a lawyer yesterday!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have still been fighting but only on my own behalf.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I have still been fighting but only on my own behalf.
Advocating for yourself is often fine, but like me you are not someone who has expertise in this area of law and by seeking counsel of someone that does you ARE continuing to fight for yourself and your family. I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer, but sometimes it really is necessary to hire someone.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Advocating for yourself is often fine, but like me you are not someone who has expertise in this area of law and by seeking counsel of someone that does you ARE continuing to fight for yourself and your family. I'm pretty much a do it yourselfer, but sometimes it really is necessary to hire someone.
Absofukinglutely!

I was hesitant to pay money I don't have and was lulled by the security of going back to work. After today the wind has been taken out of my sails and my shipped wrecked on the shore.

At this point I am out of options. Aside from my divorce 7 years ago this is the most afraid I've ever been about my future.

It's time.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Absofukinglutely!

I was hesitant to pay money I don't have and was lulled by the security of going back to work. After today the wind has been taken out of my sails and my shipped wrecked on the shore.

At this point I am out of options. Aside from my divorce 7 years ago this is the most afraid I've ever been about my future.

It's time.
I truly understand about the $$, but in this instance I think you have so much riding on a favorable decision that some short term pain is worth taking the risk of long term gain. Obviously I don't know all the particulars so that's a general statement and further I don't know anything about your country's laws pertaining to your situation, but when I know I'm far out of my scope of expertise I'm willing to pay the money to have the outcome be most favorable to me.

Example: My daughter just graduated college, but up until she was 3 years old I always did my own taxes. Then we moved into our first house, I started my business, my wife started consulting, and my son was born. Overwhelmed? Yes, and I was really concerned about not knowing enough to ask the right questions so I hired an accountant to deal with the convoluted USA tax code. It was a very good decision and in the end saved me money.

I wish you well.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I truly understand about the $$, but in this instance I think you have so much riding on a favorable decision that some short term pain is worth taking the risk of long term gain. Obviously I don't know all the particulars so that's a general statement and further I don't know anything about your country's laws pertaining to your situation, but when I know I'm far out of my scope of expertise I'm willing to pay the money to have the outcome be most favorable to me.

Example: My daughter just graduated college, but up until she was 3 years old I always did my own taxes. Then we moved into our first house, I started my business, my wife started consulting, and my son was born. Overwhelmed? Yes, and I was really concerned about not knowing enough to ask the right questions so I hired an accountant to deal with the convoluted USA tax code. It was a very good decision and in the end saved me money.

I wish you well.
Yo! Will you be my lawyer?? lol

I have been fighting the good fight friend. Never once have I laid down..... they are dirty fighters though and like you say I am not well versed in their ways.

I have fought before in my life and to quote you the stakes are high! At this point I need someone to advocate for me on my behalf because right now I have it coming at me from all sides. My work is giving me grief, EI is making me jump through hoops that I think are going to end up forcing me into a corner where I shoot myself in the foot, and WSIB are crooks.

The bank won't care. They expect their interest on my mortgage.

Life ain't fair so there.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just almost choked to death on a piece of meat.

no joke. my boyfriend was getting ready to call 911.

That is just the icing on the cake of today.

it just went down wrong and I couldn't get a breath. holy crap.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yo! Will you be my lawyer?? lol
Given my skill set, that would be a very bad decision. :-)

I have been fighting the good fight friend. Never once have I laid down..... they are dirty fighters though and like you say I am not well versed in their ways.

I have fought before in my life and to quote you the stakes are high! At this point I need someone to advocate for me on my behalf because right now I have it coming at me from all sides. My work is giving me grief, EI is making me jump through hoops that I think are going to end up forcing me into a corner where I shoot myself in the foot, and WSIB are crooks.

The bank won't care. They expect their interest on my mortgage.

Life ain't fair so there.
Keep up the good fight, which it sound that you are doing. As for the bank, while it certainly will want money, the organization really doesn't want your house. Talk to a representative about restructuring your payments due to your circumstances.