Notices

I'm going to buckle

Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to buckle

Yesterday work issues today more work problems now my dads wading in saying I need to re establish myself at work despite a pressure building and I feel down again which is the reason I was off in the first place. Scott yesterday your comments affected me, I don't come on here with the intention to complain about work or my life, or be negative, I just believe this to be a good place for support. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big lad and don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool or anything, I just keep going back to the negative and that the things that are happening are my fault.

I feel like drinking today, maybe these work things were there all along and the people are how I see them to be now which is negative, if I block it out then I can exist in ignorance from day to day.

I can see my dads disappointment in me. Well Stewart you are not qualified in anything so it will be difficult to command a salary like the one you're on at the minute without qualifications and me or your mum can't tell you what to do with your life.

I'm never going to really know and surely that should be ok shouldn't it? People who unblock drains most likely it was not perhaps their first choice occupation as a child, as it happens they're able to forge a career from it.

I feel crushed to death in my own self imposed nightmare in which I'm not able to relate on a healthy level to anyone. I'm pretty selfish I know as much as that.

Maybe things will be bearable with booze, I'm not confident I'm able to deal with things on sobers terms today.

Why is it that people look at me when I talk and they can't see my points, my dad for example. I'm not coming round the house anymore he's a ******* idiot
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Friend,

All of us deal and have dealt with life's problems. There's a friend on here with a running thread who is terminal and facing it with the utmost grace I have witnessed.

My point is that life has problems - some worse than others. Dealing with them in a sober manner without the very temporary escape of numbing ourselves with the drink is a life well lived. We all have that choice.

Perhaps consider doing the best you can each day at your job while looking for a new position or taking classes that can lead you to another career.

Either way, drinking will simply compound the problem as I am certain you already know.

Hope you find your way
Keep coming back
Old 05-20-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
Maybe things will be bearable with booze, I'm not confident I'm able to deal with things on sobers terms today.
That is utter BS that your addiction is feeding you. Things will be worse if you drink, and I'm pretty sure you know it.

Call your therapist and see if you can get an emergency appointment today, the absolute LAST thing you need to be doing today is picking up a drink.

Or spend some time with us talking this through....I think you'll realize what a massively bad choice it would be to pick up a drink.

Maybe hit an AA meeting after work? Or over the lunch hour? Anything to get your mind off drinking.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you need to accept that your job is not perfect and there are stresses involved. That's a common problem in life, so I think you need to find a way to deal with the problems involved with your job, or move into something different that might be more suited to you. No one says you need to stay in that job if it's not right for you. However, practically speaking, it would be a good idea to find a new job before you left that one.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Things aren't going to be more bearable with booze, Stewy. That's an illusion and lie. This work issue might be a complicated one, but you can get through this and come out on the other side of it much better off, regardless of whether you stay or go.

Drinking will do nothing but put things on hold, and possibly create a larger problem for you.

Whatever you decide to do, please do not drink. That is why you are here at SR, for support and help so that you don't drink.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stewy, if my leg is hemorrhaging I'm not going to simply put a bandage on it and hope for the best. If my house is on fire I'm not going to pour gasoline on it to halt the conflagration. Drinking is never a great idea to solve a problem.

I would not easily command a salary that I'm making now if I were to leave my current job. I'm not extremely keen on my current job. But almost all of what landed me in this basket of dissatisfaction was my drinking. It made absolutely nothing better. Stay sober. Clear your head. Take the time to evaluate what you have now and what you need to do to get where you want to go. It takes time but if you want better than you are going to have to put in work AND TIME. You cannot expect to instantly clear the wreckage caused by drinking. And drinking now will just put you back at square one. Or minus square one. Don't drink. Don't drink don't drink. Hang in there
Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You seem to be facing many challenges, including overwhelming despair, which is keeping you mired in inaction. There are ways out of almost every situation, if you could but see the path and embrace the change.

You can address these challenges sober. Not if you drink. If you drink, I hate to image the collapse that will cause.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

You can address these challenges sober. Not if you drink. If you drink, I hate to image the collapse that will cause.
A million times this. ^^^^

A lot of great advice in this thread, stewy. Keep coming back please.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's still there, the craving , I'm so unhappy
Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Don't know your circumstances, but have you considered getting a pet? My daughter had some depression and got a pup - great little dog! Plenty of them at shelters.......

Maybe it's not an option, but taking care of something else might be beneficial.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you tried a gratitude list Stewy? That has really helped me when my thoughts are negative.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cravings are just that, Stewy, cravings. You can see your way through them. Cravings will pass without causing you real harm.

Drinking, on other hand, has the real (and probable) potential of causing great harm - shame, guilt, self-loathing, worsened or debilitating depression (to which you are no stranger), dreadful hangovers, problems with family members . . .

I would encourage you to look at your job situation and come to thoughtful and considered decisions and conclusions.

People make career changes all the time but, usually, not without additional education or career counseling. Take your time; explore your opportunities.

And don't drink.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This will pass stewy. They are simply feelings...and if you go back and read some of your posts from the past few weeks you will see that you have had many good moments and good days.

Drinking will make you more unhappy, without question. If you had a headache would you pound on your head with a hammer to try and make it feel better? That's what drinking would do right now...it will make you feel worse today, and tomorrow even more so - imagine the shame and regret you will feel and how much worse your depression and anxiety will be.

Did you try calling your therpist? Or try and find a meeting you can go to?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy, you're at the critical moment Cravings do pass though. You get through it. You can do this. Come out on the other side, sober. This is the part where you build your sober muscles.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't drink
Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Stewy ,
different day today , keep your resolve and carry on

m
Old 05-21-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)