Notices

Anyone else just going through the motions?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else just going through the motions?

Hi, just wondered if anyone's feeling like they're just existing, not really thinking about stuff, just trying to manage getting through a day. My current major complaints are: delayed realization/ hardly picking up on new stuff and I've had this for a while, but now it's gotten very much worse. I can read/ watch something, but nothing's going on in my head, unless I force it to happen.

For me, as a former bright analyzer: this situation is hell. I used to get depressed, because I over-thought things too much. Now I'm depressed, cause I have almost no clear thoughts. I also can't stick to one thing at the time.

I know I might've asked this before, but I'm just worried: the doctors say I'm medically fine, but I don't know. ...
Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's common in early sobriety to feel this way, and if your physicians have said that you are physically fine it's probably just the "brain fog" of your mind adjusting to life without alcohol. It honestly took me several months before this started lifting.

Also be aware that simply "not drinking" is not going to solve all your problems. I personally had anxiety and OCD issues that I tried to use alcohol as a solution for, but of course that didn't' work out. I'm now doing therapy and reading/trying to practice mindfulness and meditation - and it's definitely helping.

The real key is figuring out a sobriety plan and a plan for our lives in general. Some seek that through a program like AA. Some use self help-methods. Others seek it through faith. Some use counseling to build inner strength and purpose.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel the exact same way it's been going on for a while to my heads just blank. Nothings going on upstairs. Unless I drink then my brain starts working but I can't drink anymore I'm just blank . I'm just existing right now I guess . I need to find myself a hobby or do something . When I get out of work I'm just not motivated enough to do anything.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like Scott has said above, this is characteristic of early-ish sobriety. There is a certain amount of fogginess as your brain heals. I certainly have been there, just as you've described. And it worried me a bit, as I had previously been quite an intellectual and deep thinker.

Try not to let this worry you too much right now. Mine cleared up and I seem to have no more brain fog at two years sober. Give it some time.

One thing I read was that nicotine and caffeine can interfere with the brain's healing process, though I am not sure to what degree. Although I wasn't a smoker, I did drink coffee and so I began to watch my caffeine intake.

Exercise helps too. And getting enough sleep, if you are able.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went through a stage kind of like what you're describing.

Through the Steps, therapy, meditation and a focus on getting to know myself, I found that life began to deepen.

Sure, there are still those 'just getting by' days.... but now it has shifted to a slow but noticeable progress of living a richer, deeper life.

Hang in there and try to make sure you're being ACTIVE in sobriety....

It's more than just 'not drinking' and letting the time pass by.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When my daughter died I went into that blank space for 9 months and am only recently coming out of it. I think it is the brain's defense reaction to trauma and quiting drinking is . definitely traumatic. There was a long time I thought it would never end but today at least there is light at the end of the tunnel
Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel the same way. I wish I was motivated to do anything. The exhaustion from not sleeping at night just makes me want to lay in bed all day. But then I get so hot I have to get up.