Notices

Blood panel resource

Old 05-20-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood panel resource

Hi, I read so much on here from people who are scared to see a doctor because they'll learn how much damage they've done. I was definitely one of them. While listening to a health and fitness podcast the other day, I learned that there is at least one company out there that partners with a major US testing lab to provide you with blood test results you can examine privately -- or in conjunction with a physician phone consultation.

Caveat -- they do not prescribe drugs. If you need medical detox, this is not for that. This is just to see whether you've suffered alcohol-related physical damage.

I signed up for the more thorough blood draw and visited the lab (you are referred through one of their physicians, whom you don't see face-to-face). Four days later, my results came back (I'd stopped drinking two weeks before)...and they were completely normal -- then I felt silly for avoiding my doc! I did sign up for a phone consultation with one of their physicians just to check, and he agreed that everything looked fine and then made some recommendations for supplements.

I don't want to discourage anyone from visiting their doctor, and this of course isn't medical advice, but I think so many of us don't seek help at all because of the anxiety involved. I was quite relieved to know I was OK, and later did visit my own doctor for a physical -- where he told me to lose weight, big surprise.

I think a lot of athletes use this service at various intervals to improve their health and performance. I realize it's against the rules to post a URL for a service, but thought I'd mention that this thing does exist and might be a good starting point for those of use in the shame-ridden fraidy-cat category.

They don't take insurance, and none of this shows up on your health records; it's confidential and reasonably priced.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sounds like a good idea Razorback. I only had a blood test done because I got a letter saying now i'm over 50 I should have a medical (which included a blood test)

I also think that in some cases people are ashamed to admit a drink problem to their family doctor, I certainly was.