Notices

Day 2

Old 05-20-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Zero sleep last night and saddle bags under my eyes. These first few days suck! I do however find comfort in checking into SR. I guess I deserve the withdrawals after 18 years of drinking. Hard to admit that when I'm only 33.

The depression and anxiety are intense right now but I did pray this morning and am checking in and renewing my commitment. There's nothing like withdrawal to test a persons soul. Looking forward to a meeting this afternoon.

Does taking fish oil and vitamins help? What do about salt. Have had salt cravings for some reason.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 2 Sbrjoe. Yes, the first few days really do suck - there's not much getting around that. Depression and anxiety too...it's not a fun time. There aren't any magic pills or supplements you can take to lessen these symptoms...like you said its just your body adjusting to the removal of the alcohol from the equation and it really doesn't like it much at all.

You could see a doctor if you have physical concerns....sometimes our bodies are deficient in certain areas, but you wouldn't really know without seeing a doc. Lots of water, some healthy food if you can tolerate it, and adequate rest are probably the best things you can do.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sbrjoe,

Congratulations on Day 2!

It's probably a good idea to check with your dr before you start taking specific vitamins. As for the salt, I kind of ate what I wanted the first week and just tried to listen to my body. Again, it's probably a good idea to get a check up with your dr.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank tons of water and ate ice cream. Also vitamin b complex helped me a lot. Someone here told me to treat myself as if I had the flu. It helped. I did baby myself the first week. Long showers, soft music, at lots of ice cream and drank tons of fluid. It was not easy but it got easier day by day. Hang in there.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I ate tons of salted sunflower seeds when I first quit. I had salt cravings too. Plus eating them occupied my hands. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like the advice, treat it like the flu. I keep trying to push myself to recover more quickly,but like the flu, it will take it own damn time.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hang in there, man. You are one day behind me. I had some trembles and still the some redness in my face but the appetite is slowly returning.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always crave salt, so I can't really speak to that

I did find that after day 3 or 4 my sleep started going back to normal. Day 5 I could not sit still for a second or concentrate on anything, but that seemed to only be on that one day.

My appetite went from 0 to 60. Day 1-4 I didn't want anything, and then the next week or so I couldn't stop eating and didn't even try. I just ate whatever I wanted that first week, and since then I've been eating pretty healthy.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It all gets better sbrjoe. How did the meeting go?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am with you on day two, doctor suggested vitamin B1 thiamine in addiction to some prescriptions he gave me for anxiety.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

45 Hours down and two meetings in a row. Today's meeting was very good. I'm starting to find comfort in these SR rooms and in the local community rooms. Helps to have support from you all knowing that I'm not going through this alone. I am, however, feeling tired as heck today due to zero sleep last night. After the meeting I went and had a great dinner with my family (sushi). Super awesome and great to see the sunsetting in New Mexico. So beautiful. More beautiful than the last sunset I remember....I was drunk and or passed out before I could catch a decent summer sunrise this year actually....

I kept waking up last night because of the dreams of suffocating or falling (I believe this is considered convulsing). Every 10 minutes it seems like. Let's see how tonight goes. I've taken a couple natural sleeping pills with valerian root and chamomile. Hopefully it helps. Last night I jumped up and took some b complex and that seemed to help a little. I also took some fish oil and glutamine. Not too sure which one helped or if it was a combination.

This totally sucks going through the withdrawals but man it is a lot better than being killed by myself with copious amounts of vodka. I typically drank a pint and a couple shots with apple juice and weekends were easily a pint and a half or more. My body literally hurts from it. I am hoping that the chances of seizures is dissipating after 48 hours. I didn't have the typical bugs or hallucinations that I usually get so that has help. My wife and biological mother have been helping me out with support along with meetings. My biological mom is a former addict and alcoholic. She has been sober for 15 +years and is walking me through it all.

I broke down yesterday and admitted that I needed help (first time ever admitting I'm powerless) and called her up. Seems I've still been in denial. She said I cannot and will not do it alone. I am so happy to have her there to support me. I am also super glad for SR. It's like taking the meeting with me everywhere.

I need some pointers on dealing with fear, anger, and resentment. Thinking of doing a list and hopefully finding a sponsor here soon. I will continue to update everyone. Thanks for the support! Now hopefully I can get at least some rest. If not, I will wake up go to work then straight to another meeting and try again.... God bless you all!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Himalayan crystal salt is a good salt alternative. I would Google "nutritionAL deficiency salt craving" as lots of cravings are triggered by things like that.
I take fish oil mixed with vitamin d3, and a multi liquid vitamin/mineral that includes all the b vitamins and every mineral from zinc to magnesium . I find good quality supplements help.