"Medical" marijuana

Old 05-19-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Medical" marijuana

I have glaucoma. I have all three of the drops. Yet I see my sight, every day, diminishing slightly with each day.
I've looked into medical marijuana. What I see are quasi users/growers/dealers harvesting names they hide behind while supplying legal use, and much illegal use. All of it recreational use.
I have no desire to be on that list.
Is MMJ a thing to keep pursuing or not, and why?
ty all in advance for your responses.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Like most prescribed drugs, they should be taken exactly as prescribed by a doctor who has examined the person needing medication and after a solid diagnosis. If this will help you, there is nothing wrong with using it.

Personally, if there were alternatives I would opt for them.

Good luck and I hope something works well for you.

Hugs
Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

[Whoa this is longer than I thought it would be.... Sorry! Bored at work, apparently.]

I have had something similar happen to me. When I went to my GYN last summer, I was told that I have ovarian cysts. FINALLY. After YEARS, I apparently said the magic words that clicked in a physician's brain (I've seen a few) and was told that it's likely cysts. Even though I've had imaging done, their life cycle is such that by the time I get imaging, the cysts may have already burst and therefore cannot be found that way.

Anyways, I told my doctor that I didn't want to take pain medication to manage, and would prefer to switch BC methods to manage the symptoms. I obviously don't have an issue with putting things into my body, but it's the types of things I get put into my body. I explained my dad is a recovering alcoholic (sober my whole life) and my doctor told me that she has schizophrenia in her family and has herself been on mood stabilizers for years and if not for that she probably would have committed suicide. The doctor told me she wouldn't let her fear of taking a drug get in the way of making life manageable.

I was a little taken aback at her response, both because of her disclose of her personal life (uh....hope its ok to post here?), and because I felt that my concerns were dismissed. But after digesting it, I realized she was making a cost-benefit analysis. Live with potentially debilitating pain or make an informed-yet risky-decision to take pain meds.

Now, thankfully I'm on the Depo shot, and so far my pain has subsided. I am on other medications, but no pain meds. Had I not figured out an alternative BC method, and felt I needed pain medication to manage my life, I would hold myself accountable by making sure the all my doctors have ALL the information--meaning: I would let my GP, my urologist, my dentist, my eye doctor, etc. know that I was taking pain medication. If, for instance, (god forbid) I get another root canal and need pain meds prescribed, I would ask that my dentist confer with my GYN who initially prescribed the pain meds. I would again make sure my concerns were heard by the prescribing physician about my family history of addiction.

By the way, I know it's off topic but what I described above was the same doctor appointment that I had to say, "I just found out my X is an intravenous drug user, please test me for EVERYTHING." I've been there, done that, and thankfully was fine (he stopped sleeping with me months before I found out about his relapse, and I thank him for that because I truly believe he did it to keep me healthy). I just wanted to take the opportunity to let people know that its OK to have to ask your doctor for that, and I hope everyone takes care of their own health. My tests were all negative, and I even used the opportunity for a general blood workup on my overall health.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here in IA, they recently legalized cannabidiol extract for the treatment of certain medical conditions. Primarily intractable epilepsy in young children where other treatments and medications have failed. It is administered orally in oil form, not smoked, and does not contain THC, which is what gives recreational users the high.
Not sure where you are, but if medical MJ is legal in your area, you may be able to get the cannabidiol extract with a prescription. That might be a bit less shady, which I can understand wanting to avoid. Hopefully you can find a solution that will help your condition.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What ladyscribbler said. They have it for medical use now where you get the medical benefits without the THC/high. And you don't have to smoke it.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ditto on the above two posts! I have ocular hypertention w/o glaucoma. My eye doctor and I discussed all treatments (if ever needed) and he let me know I'd have to smoke a sizable joint a day to make a difference. He also mentioned medical mj (oil) if we ever get it here in my state, and he said it makes a difference.

Another option for you is surgery. My mom is diagnosed with glaucoma and had laser surgery. She still uses drops but her IOP is perfect now. There are many more options these days and more aggressive treatment is favored in a few instances. Don't discount any of them