Notices

Rocket summer

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rocket summer

Greetings fellow SR-ites,

It feels like summer is almost upon us. Today the sun shone, then the wind blew a gale, there were hailstones, rain, and then the sun peeked out again from behind the clouds.

As I was confronted with the various forms of summer weather, my mind wandered to alcohol. The long summer days, drinking flagons of cider beside a statue of Patrick Kavanagh, before descending on the town, free of the shackles of shyness and fear. I wandered forward to long days stoned in the sun, gripped by giggles, paranoia, and narcissism. I recall the elegant beer gardens of Germany, the myriad beer and drug fuelled weekends, the camping trips, the sailing trips, the holidays, beaches, mountains....drunk...drunk....drunk.......

Now I ponder what this summer will bring without alcohol. Will all of my past enjoyments lose their flavour? Will life seem vapid? Will I forever feel alienated from my fellow man? But I am also conscious of the great advantages sobriety has bestowed upon me. I have the most amazing, beautiful partner in the world. We are about to move into a new home together by the sea. I will soon become a father.

So, I wait with excitement and trepidation for what this rocket summer will bring.

My best wishes,

B
Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thanks for the post Behan - very well written.

I guess we all have trepidation of the unknown in new sobriety. I quit last June so this will shortly be my second summer undrunk.

The first year is like going to school - maybe college - as a freshman. It's exciting but scary. There a lot to learn and practice.

Glad your here with us today!
Keep coming back and keep writing - very nice~!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

my summers had been a washed out and pale experience for a long time when drinking .

Experiencing summer sober after a year was like waking up in Oz but more real and beautiful .

The life bursting out everywhere was glorious .

I hope you enjoy it

m
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

This will be my first too Behan. It is both daunting and exciting at the same time
Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you folks!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I hear you, Behan. Our association pool just opened and this will be my first Summer without drink. My children are now old enough to pick up on the fact that papa is on his seventh beer, which is my main reason for quitting. Good luck to you, sir!