One Year

Old 05-19-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

One Year

My son has a year clean and sober today.

Last year I put him in jail for breaking my window.
He was homeless sleeping in a cemetery and drinking himself to death. The hospital called me and told me he hit bottom. They got him into rehab and he got kicked out after 60 days. He called screaming at me because I wouldn't pick him up. And then he stayed sober for a year.

He got his license back after 20 years and has a car and a job. He is being a good father to his kids and has lived in the same place for a year. He calls now just to see how I am.

The last 13 years have been the hardest for me. Addiction has traumatized me. I learned to make decisions I never thought I could make. I learned to cope. I kept my distance. I just couldn't move on and let it go emotionally. I couldn't break the emotional bond. I learned to cope with the fear and pain, but I still had to live with it for years. I know all the Moms understand this and some of you have done much better than I have.

I have no expectations. I live in today and it's a good day for my son and I'm glad he is doing well. I am grateful for this break. Maybe some emotional rest will help me recover. I haven't been able to feel any joy for a very long time.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Understand. Joy is lost to me as well. Be proud of what you have accomplished. So happy about your son...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's good to hear, MG. May you both continue to experience the miracle of recovery.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm very happy that, for today, your son is sober, MG. I hope his one year makes it to 2!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great news, MG. Thanks for sharing. As much as we work to detach, sometimes it is hard to get our JOY back on track! This is one of those moments, and I share your happiness and your one-day-at-a-time perspective!
Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great accomplishment MG! All the way around! While its truly one day at a time, may his one year anniversary give him renewed strength and clarity for each day and hour going forward.

Thanks for sharing! Gives moms like me hope for "someday" and affirmation that sometimes the right thing to do for our child is nothing at all!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MG....such good news. He is sober today....and it is good.

I hope you are able to find joy. I experienced it today as I sat on my porch and watched a tropical storm pass through. My sweet little pup slept on my lap while the lightning flashed and thunder crashed. I find joy in the most simple of things.....that is where joy resides.

hugs to you
ke
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations to your son on a year, and blessings to you. I hope he continues to stay sober and that you can find joy in your life, because you deserve to be happy and content.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

MG, so glad for you and your son. Enjoy today! I remember my dad's one year of sobriety day. My mom and whole family were so happy. He passed away in 2008 with 37 years of sobriety. He was a great dad and grandfather. There is hope. There is always hope!
Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very happy to hear that MG. Hopefully he'll feel so good about his new life that he'll treasure his sobriety. May the day come that you can relax and feel joy in your heart again.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm also very happy to hear this! Prayers for both of you that he continues on this path and you can breathe easy again and relax.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is wonderful news! I always believe that as long as the addict is breathing there is hope!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very glad for you and your son. I hope he continues to find his way and more than anything, MG, I hope you can find joy again - You are an amazing and loving woman and mom.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Morning Glory, FANTASTIC, happy for you.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you! Isn't it wonderful when they simply ask how you are doing? I've been in bed most of the day with a horrible migraine and just got up to take more medicine and my son asked if I felt better. It made me tear up because I remember so many times that he didn't have a thought in his head beyond getting high. To have him ask that simple question means the world. I pray you to have many more phone calls just to see how you are doing.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so happy for you and for him too, MG. A year of sobriety will bring him so many good reasons to stay on the good path.

I find my peace in nature and my joy in all the beauty that surrounds me each day. I hope you find yours too, it's there in your heart, you just need to let it free.