Notices

Stress triggers

Old 05-19-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

Stress triggers

Hi all.

Would love to hear people's advise on how they've managed stress triggers, where you would have otherwise drank.

My job can come with a large amount of stress, and in the past it's led to me drinking heavily, especially if I had to work into the night (of course I'd often be working into the night because I'd start my work day late due to drinking the night before).

To share, I'm thankful to have a job though it has taken it's fair share from me (emotional and physical stress, lack of time to pursue interests and relationships etc). I'm in a very new relationship now but it often feels like I don't have the time to give it what it deserves.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, in my experience dealing with stress gets easier to manage with sober time.
9 months ago I was a wreck about everything now I have a clearer mind and I can solve problem in a healthier way.
Eating right and excerise is a must for healthy life style in my opinion
Old 05-19-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

1.Avoid Caffeine, Alcohol, and Nicotine. Avoid, or at least reduce your consumption of, nicotine and all drinks containing caffeine and alcohol. ...
2.Indulge in Physical Activity. ...
3.Get More Sleep. ...
4.Try Relaxation Techniques. ...
5.Talk to Someone. ...
6.Keep a Stress Diary. ...
7.Take Control. ...
8.Manage Your Time.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Emphasis on number 1: Avoid alcohol
Old 05-19-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My job isn't very stressful but my marriage is. No matter what I'm going through, the primary concern is don't drink no matter what. Sometimes I want a drink so strongly it hurts. I walk around. I do small mindless chores. I text people. I post here. I go for a ride to cool down. Anything other than drinking. Then get some rest because fighting painful urges is exhausting.

All of this gets easier in time but can be done now. My husband was in full throttle relapse mode when I quit drinking 17 months ago. He sobered up and relapsed again and I still haven't had a drink. You can do it. Just don't drink.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

This is a bit of a boring answer kys but physical exercise really does seem to help (me anyway)

It helps me sleep better too which helps as being tired at work is stressful.

Nothing too intense is needed, just enough to make you sweat for a bit
Old 05-19-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had to learn to find pleasure in anything but alcohol. It was hard at first but it's doable.

At first, it was enough to just manage my up and down mood swings. My blood sugar was normalizing and so I made sure to eat properly and regularly, drink enough water, and try to watch out for over-consumption of coffee and sugar.

I started running and lifting weights to deal with extra energy, and I had quite a bit of it suddenly when I no longer had to rebound from hangovers!

I also began to get really picky about who I spent time with. In essence, I shut out some unhealthy family relationships that had historically been triggers for me. My husband and I struggled mightily and some days we still do, so just dealing with daily marriage issues was enough to push me to my limits at first in early sobriety. But without the alcohol in me, I learned to take a step back, breathe, and not react. I learned instead to act from a place of freedom and choice. And from a clear mind. Getting back my mental capacities has been truly amazing. It's been so worth it for me.

I learned to stop at three cups of coffee per day. That's my max. I began learning about different teas and trying them out. I now have a collection of high end tea to pick from. I eat high quality dark chocolate and keep raw organic honey on hand for my tea.

I also keep a stash of flavored seltzer waters in the fridge. I have found myself grabbing them in moments of high anxiety or stress, as well as the teas, and this really has helped me over the past two years.

I learned to meditate by starting out timing myself for only five minutes and building from that base. The key was to do it daily, if only for 1-2 minutes.

I started writing again, and by doing it for five minutes here and there. If I don't write anything all day I make sure I journal that night. Again, a minimum of a few minutes.

I adopted two beagles and have learned about them. They are my kids Love them. They really reduce my stress.

I started gardening and planting flowers and bushes and trees on our property. That has been so rewarding.

Those are some things I do now instead of drink.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, SoberJenie. So much inspiration there.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, SoberJenie. So much inspiration there.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used my stress as a reason to drink, once I started using that energy to solve the problem instead of being an excuse to drink the stress levels went way down.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Somewhere, something needs to be in smaller pieces.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also learning to deal with stress triggers. I think that DoggoneCarl has a point - stay away from Caffeine, Alcohol, and Nicotine or basically anything that can be considered a chemical answer to the problem. Exercise, taking up new hobbies, are ways to alleviate the stress.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kys

I'm working on making time for work, and when it's not time for work.

I have too much blend of that in my life at the moment.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kys

Not to say I never drank,, but on starting my 'career' job I definitely started being an alcoholic.

Little to show now from having an ok job too, given the reckless spending that goes with binge drinking (not just money on alcohol, just ongoing reckless spend habits telling myself I'll stop that when I stop drinking).