Notices

Keeping your eyes on the prize

Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping your eyes on the prize

This could be early sobriety issues, but I am struggling to keep my goals in mind. Not just sobriety itself but short, medium and long range. It is as though I have a split personality (no, not mentally ill)... does this make sense to anyone?

How you you set and achieve your goals?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

In my early sobriety I was very diligent at writing things down and making schedules. Why not make a written plan of all of your goals and plans? That way there are right there for you to see, and you can also take them off the list when they are completed..giving you a sense of accomplishment to boot.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How detailed did you get Scott? Were you general or ?? And how did you stay motivated to stay on track?
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

My goal was to stay sober through till bed then hope tomorrow was the same and every other day i have left on our planet .

I was always a perfectionist and tried hugely to over achieve and please people so goals were always pretty big .

I found a lot of relief in keeping my ceiling low and only looking to tomorrow or this week, keep things achievable .

I put money aside, i invest a surplus if i have any but it's not with a specific aim in mind, I think of a pound saved as a gift from the me now to the future me who might need it .

I'm content that life happens and i'll find myself with opportunities to take rather than trying to get the world to fit my plan.

It makes me happy and content today .

Bestwishes, m
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had to start with very simple, daily goals to keep moving forward. They are detailed: Get dressed, take vitamins, eat breakfast etc etc.
I find I am more focused now at day 28 then on day 4, but still follow my daily goals and check them off. I am now moving onto more long term goals, and the details of how I am going to get there. I find making lists helps with early sobriety.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
How detailed did you get Scott? Were you general or ?? And how did you stay motivated to stay on track?
I am very detail oriented in my work, so I was very detailed in my daily routine as well. The first few months i had a plan for every single day -sometimes every hour of the day. But then again, i'm borderline OCD anyway so thats' probably a bit over the top.

But what works for me might not work for you...just think about what your goals really are and just write them down so you can see them. If it helps, make an electronic calendar that you can access on your phone and you can see it wherever you are.

How do you stay motivated? I can't answer that honestly but seeing the goals and having set deadlines in itself can help. Idle time generally isn't productive for me.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! It's funny...I used to be the most anal person before I started drinking. I was super organized etc. Now I am lucky if my sox match! I have killed too many brain cells evidently.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
How you set and achieve your goals?
First off, you write them down.
  1. Identify your goals. They should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely (SMART) goals.
  2. Create objectives that align with your goals. Objectives are the big milestones toward your goal.
  3. Create tasks that will accomplish your objectives. Then do them.

There are any number of programs that will help you set and meet goals. I'm partial to Franklin Covey. But like recovery, there's no set program.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, AF, it's good to think about goals. I had to start small because everything long term was too overwhelming at first. It's only now at 17 months that I'm actually thinking to plan a vacation. I think you got some really good ideas/suggestions. Just wanted you to know I'm here in support.