Notices

Life Insurance ...

Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life Insurance ...

Hello my fellow fighters. Well, I have been doing pretty well, but it has been a back-and-forth struggle for sure. Finally feel like I am gaining some sobriety momentum. NEVER want to go back to being an everyday drinker, and I am beginning to see the beauty in being a NEVER AGAIN drinker.

So that preamble is just because I haven't checked in for a while.

But I also have been thinking about getting life insurance. I had a great policy but it lapsed when the automatic re-payment got denied due to an expired bank card. Now I have to resubmit an application. No medical exam, already did that when I got the policy, but the questionnaire asks: "Have you ever consulted with a health care provider regarding symptoms, diagnosis, or tretment for any of the following conditions: .... substance abuse ...." etc.

So, anyone else dealt with life insurance? I have to have it, but what do I do with these questions???
Old 05-18-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to answer the question honestly because the insurance company has access to the mib database which contains all your medical history. Not only that if you were to die as a result of a substance abuse complication the insurance company could refuse to pay out.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

First: How much life insurance do you need?

My bank provides a small policy, no questions asked, that would be enough to finalize my life. I have no one else to provide for. There are lot's of final expense type policies available for reasonable rates.

If you need more, you do need to be honest. I would do some online applications anonymously to get an idea of what affect answering that question has.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll echo what Debbie said, I don't think you want be less than truthful or they can deny the benefit.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - yeah, I wasn't going to lie about it, but I just get stuck at the question and think, "Do I have to do some lengthy explanation on the reverse side? Do I just check the box yes and have some guy call me to quiz me about my drinking? Should I just get accidental death because it's no medical questions? Should I expect to pay more and get less, and how much?" Anyway looking at this stupid form is doing my head in.

I have two kids, so I need to square this away, but it's giving me serious anxiety and guilt thinking about how I've screwed it up so I can't even get life insurance now.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you.......I'm an insurance broker.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Two year contestability period with life insurance if they issue. If that period passes it does not matter what you told them.

Suggest however, always tell the truth - it works out much better and keeps us sober!!!

If you are employed or married and/or wife is - look at group term offered. The CHEAPEST way to purchase life insurance and no questions asked by carrier = take one, take all.
Convertible to individual policy when one leave employer.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Contestability period is a creature of state law and varies from state to state. Sounds like Flynbuy is describing California law or somewhere similar. It basically says after you pay premiums for two years it doesn't matter if you lied on the application, they have to keep the policy in force if you keep paying the premiums, and they also have to pay out on death. But if you intend to game that you have to get past any search of data bases the insurance companies may have. If they can tell you are lying on the application they will not issue the policy in the first place.