Notices

Just beginning

Old 05-17-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just beginning

This was my first sober weekend in almost 5 years. I wanted to go the entire weekend without a drink but had one with brunch since my friends insisted. In the past I'd get trashed on Friday, spend Saturday recovering and promising I'd never do it again and then go out on Sunday for a few beers. I'm not sure where this path is taking me but I'm sure it's better than where I've been. I'm already feeling physically better and (I'm probably imagining it) think I look healthier. I know this won't be easy but I'm committed. I promise myself and everyone I care about that I will make this work.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Hurley
Old 05-18-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

Usually it’s so much easier, not easy, having help like what’s available on this site or at meetings. Many of us didn’t know what we didn’t know and need guidance.

Whatever path you choose success is NOT having the first drink which almost always leads to more which is the problem.

BE WELL
Old 05-18-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hurley, I'm glad you are here. Do you want to quit drinking entirely? It may be time to stop seeing those friends for a while and reevaluate what you truly want to do. Just because they insisted you have a drink, doesn't mean you had to have one. It's about making choices before you have that first drink. Once I had that first drink, all bets were off. Well done on not drinking friday. Sounds like you may need to tweak things if you are seeking total abstinence.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hurleymb View Post
This was my first sober weekend in almost 5 years. I wanted to go the entire weekend without a drink but had one with brunch since my friends insisted. In the past I'd get trashed on Friday, spend Saturday recovering and promising I'd never do it again and then go out on Sunday for a few beers. I'm not sure where this path is taking me but I'm sure it's better than where I've been. I'm already feeling physically better and (I'm probably imagining it) think I look healthier. I know this won't be easy but I'm committed. I promise myself and everyone I care about that I will make this work.
You can absolutely make this work, hurleymb.

In early sobriety, there were places to which I simply couldn't go and situations in which I simply couldn't place myself. Those situations and places are okay now but it took some time before I had absolute confidence in my sobriety to withstand those kinds of tests.

Maybe you can find some new sober activities or revisit some old hobbies to fill your time in early sobriety. As Dee says, give yourself time to build your sober muscles.

I am glad that you are already seeing the benefits of sobriety. It gets better and better and better . . .
Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I assumed I'd be cutting out friends. I'm actually surprised at how much my friends drink now that I've become aware of my own drinking. I'm no where near their quantity and frequency but I'm so much more than where I want to be.

Actually one of the main motivations is that I have a very good job opportunity and I need to have my head clear to handle it. The job is in a different state and if be able to start over with my social group.

Thank you all for the kind words!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are solidly in your corner, hurleymb!!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hurley!!