Notices

Oh What a Night

Old 05-16-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh What a Night

So I went out to dinner with a bunch of friends. Some with alcohol and some without. One friend who I've been scared about for a long time who always said she's quitting ordered a glass of wine. Ok. Not a problem. But then it turned into two, three , four, five. We payed the cheque and I drove her home. Then she took sleep meds - says she can't live without. Spent the last two hours praying she was ok as I watched tv. I called telehealth Ontario and they said she would likely be fine, but i feel so guilty here at home sober wondering about her. Calling her in a few hours . Set my alarm and I have her mother on alert too. So scared she messed this up. She's in a custody battle for her kids. I don't know what else to do to help her. I told her I'm an alcoholic, that I can't drink. Well six waters later and I can't sleep. So worried about her. Imovane and a bottle of wine. No idea how muc imovane she took. I'll keep checking in
Old 05-16-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Imovane and wine are pretty OK. I've done it many many times (I hate even writting that). I've even took a few after quite a lot to drink (to be fair, I didn't care if I lived or died at that point).Lots of people drink on them purposely as it has a high.

Its more the Benzo's that are a problem. Thats not to say that they are safe, but they are genrally OK.

Also, when you have been taking them for a while they can cause issues. They are only supposed to be taken for 2 weeks max. They caused me to have suicidal depresion
Old 05-16-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's never a good idea to mix alcohol with meds.

I think you've done everything a concerned friend can do Irnldy001.

I hope your friend will be ok - it's good her mother is involved too.

D
Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well she's fine. Says she woke up feeling great and raring to go. Her mom took her to get her car (yes she drove to the restaurant).
Now the worst part for me is admitting just how LOUD my AV was last night. I didn't drink, because the logical part of my brain kept telling me how much I love my sobriety and it's not worth throwing away. But I was watching three of my friends drink wine, margheritas, etc. and I kept imagining it going down my throat and how nice it would feel.
Except I know that if I had done that I'd be toast today, totally hungover and not able to take the day on with kids and husband.
I am grateful to be sober another day. I won't say last night was a close call, because even though they drink, these are close friends and I've told them to help myself have accountability buddies. 2 of them stopped at one drink (oh how I wish I had this power). It was just the one who is a constant drinker. I worry about her, and I know that her ex is a heavy drinker too. She told me she only does it when he has the kids and vice versa. But I hate that I think they are showing the kids what I showed my kids for YEARS. That drinking was more important than them, their worries , their homework, etc. I hate that me. Just another reminder of how much of the old me I HATE. And I just can't ever let myself become that person again. I can't live with her, and I don't think my family can either. Thanks for the vent space. (And PS, if you are replacing alcohol with copious amounts of water/tea/soda, etc, you WILL get up all night to pee!)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad your friend is alright!! and great to hear you got through it!!
Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of this is making me realize that my sobriety has been heavily dependent on me closing off so many parts of my life. Yes, my sobriety comes first. Time with my family, attention to my job. But I stopped seeing many people and going out, going to restaurants, other people's homes where I know there will be booze.
It's been 4 and half months. When do I feel free enough to actually re enter the world in a not so controlled way? How long did it take all of you?
My house is a safe zone -no alcohol ever. When we have people here we don't serve alcohol, and if they bring wine, my husband serves it to them and keeps it under his control, then drains it at the end of the night. See? I make my environments strictly controlled. I know it can't last forever and I can't isolate forever..