Notices

Did years of binge drinking create my high blood pressure?

Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did years of binge drinking create my high blood pressure?

Have any of you dealt with high blood pressure and blood pressure meds from alcohol use?

I am currently on BP meds (lisinopril and metroprolol sp?). The past few nights, even with having no alcohol in my system, I've been getting nauseous to the point of actually vomiting for a straight hour. After doing some research, I read this is a (rare) side effect of lisinopril. I really can't live like this, and I'm going to come off my BP meds.

My overall thought on it is this - could me drinking, every single night, 9-10 mixed drinks per night, for nearly eight straight years - could that have created my high blood pressure? It sounds to me like it most certainly could have. And now that I've stopped drinking, shouldn't my blood pressure, at some point, simply return to normal without needing the meds?

I cannot deal with being sick every night, I HAVE to stop taking lisinopril.

Any help is appreciated
Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

None of us could possibly know that answer, because many sober people also get high BP, and lots of factors come into play, like genetics, overall health, etc...

That said, alcohol can certainly cause high blood pressure, and you can google that on your own very easily, and at reliable sources. Alcohol consumption, at a high and habitual level can cause many health problems, like liver disease, skin problems, digestive issues.

When you think of all of that, it seems crazy to drink, doesn't it?

I am not a gold star member here at SR, but can say, that during my longest sober stretch I saw huge improvements to my physical health. Improved bloodwork, controlled diabetes, borderline BP down to normal, etc... Much less anxiety too.

Stay with it and I think you will feel much better.

Also, talk to your Dr. about possible side effects of your meds and your vomiting. They could be unrelated and you should get that looked at. It is quite possible your nausea and vomiting could be withdrawal as well, and you may need medical attention for that as well.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do hope you plan to talk to your dr before you go off the blood pressure medication. I don't know if your blood pressure will go back to normal after you stop drinking, but you can talk to your dr about that.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is notorious for jacking up blood pressure. I had high BP when I was actively drinking and I was very fit and eating clean. Now, I'm almost 6 months sober and my BP is normal.

High BP is not to be messed with. Your Dr should be able to help you with a plan to get sober and control your BP.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The best advice is obviously to speak to your doctor about it. I drank heavily for all my adult life yet only suffered temporary high BP during my liver treatment. I took meds for a month then it was back to normal, without the alcohol of course!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Lot of factors contribute to high blood pressure, alcohol intake being just one of them. I'll reiterate, see your doctor.

Not Dr. Google.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response guys.

I want to say that I'm a 30 year old male, 6'2, 175 lbs. so I'm not overweight or anything like that. Young and active, healthy lifestyle as far as diet and exercise goes
Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2 doctors told me not to go off my hbp med right now. But mine is also related to weight and genetics . there are so many factors and it's not something that you want to fool around with. See your dr.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Absolutely, do not stop any BP meds, or any meds without seeing your Dr.

Hope I did not imply that. Only meant to support the idea that stopping drinking can only help improve your health.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My BP causes me insomnia when I quit. I have found that 5 HTP (serotonin booster vitamin) about an hour before its time to go home and drink and valerian root vitamin before bed really helps.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quitting causes anxiety and the brain to panic is how I feel when my bp rises.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I had issues with lisinopril (persistent cough) and the doc switched me to another med. All's well now, including my BP.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't go off your meds until you see a doctor. Very dangerous. There are many other types of BP medications
Old 05-14-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wouldn't go off of any meds until you see your doc.

Personally I had high blood pressure and was on meds for 10 years; drinking heavily for 20+ yrs. Got the OK to go off of them after i stopped drinking; around the 4 month mark; and lost 30 pounds. Still check it every week, but so far so good.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

"I am currently on BP meds (lisinopril and metroprolol sp?)."

Sounds familiar..

The answer to your question is.. MOST LIKELY!

I was in the ER 3 times in a year and a half for High BP ...The first time , they threw a nitro pill down my throat because they thought I was going Bye-Bye ..

My BP has dropped significantly since quitting...
Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Don't stop without seeing your doctor!!!! Talk to the doctor about what's going on. As Non said, there are other medications around. Playing Russian roulette with your health if you stop without checking.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm another vote for seeing your Dr. You need professional advice

D
Old 05-14-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Update: Got in to the doctor's office today. She took me off the lisinopril, assuming my vomiting is from that. Started me on cozaar to continue my BP treatment. Advised not to quit. My BP was 100/60. I've never in my life seen it that low. Before the meds it used to be 160/110.

Just checked it again a few hours ago and it was 122/68

I'm sure the not drinking is also helping keep it down. WOOT!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Too many variables when it comes to blood pressure, a Dr is a good way forward!!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by pleasehelpmeout View Post
Update: Got in to the doctor's office today. She took me off the lisinopril, assuming my vomiting is from that. Started me on cozaar to continue my BP treatment. Advised not to quit. My BP was 100/60. I've never in my life seen it that low. Before the meds it used to be 160/110.

Just checked it again a few hours ago and it was 122/68

I'm sure the not drinking is also helping keep it down. WOOT!

That is great that you seem to have found a medicine that works. My BP was also through the roof when I was drinking and is now almost back to normal.

One question is how long have you been completely sober for? It took me months for my bp to settle back down once I quit for good.