Notices

The AV is Strong Today

Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The AV is Strong Today

So I'm feeling a little down again. Doing good staying sober, but still having cravings. I was offered alcohol by someone this morning and throughout the day, but successfully said no and didn't pick up.

Seeing everyone "having fun" with alcohol is still something I'm struggling with. The concept of staying clean is of the utmost importance to me. I guess maybe it's jealousy that I cannot drink.

Either way, I won't be drinking tonight, I'm just venting my frustrations.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Vent away. I used to get angry at the injustice that someone else can drink normally and I couldn't. Very gradually I stopped getting upset about it and just accepted it. The more I enjoyed sobriety and got used to feeling healthier and happier, the less resentment I felt. I don't want to wake up feeling like garbage. Just not appealing.

How did you come to be offered alcohol during the course of your day? I try to avoid people, places and things where that would even come up. If you were at a place serving alcohol, maybe skip that venue for a bit.

It gets better. Vent, post. You'll be alright.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was at work. 7:00 AM this morning. I found it quite disturbing that he would even be so bold to offer booze that early let alone at all. He's the type that says "Come on just try it. It's just a drink." (Of course we all know that isn't true for us)

So I avoided that situation throughout the day. Luckily, my sponsor is a coworker, and said I did really well with it.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to get past the idea of 'drinking = having fun', at least it is until you have enough sober fun to balance your perspective.

Think about it tho Justin - is drinking really fun for you? think about all those detox threads and the fear and panic you had about your health.

Was that really fun? of course not.

Remember the drinking - and it's consequences.

D
Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I think this is something most of us struggle with in the beginning. However, and I can only speak for myself (although I'm sure others would agree), after a certain amount of time sober, even the idea of casual drinking or getting drunk once in a while doesn't appeal to me.

There's so many benefits of sobriety and I've learned so much about myself. A lot of that is because, as an alcoholic, I've been 'forced' to re-evaluate my life and try new things. I'm in much better physical, spiritual and mental health than I've ever been and I don't think that would have happened if I had been a 'normal drinker'.

There are still times when I miss it and I get cravings like everyone else, but I have faith that you'll learn to love your sobriety and the jealousy will disappear.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"the AV is strong today"

You are stronger.