Notices

Helping Prof In Need of Help

Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helping Prof In Need of Help

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, and last time drinker.

29 y/o male alcoholic of four years: heavy drinking interspersed w periods of sobriety and health (former competitive bodybuilder; gluten-free diet and the works) ranging from 1 to 3 months. Over the past year my drinking has assumed a particularly dark demeanor: binge episodes lasting a week or two: blinds drawn and pints upon pints of vodka consumed. I always managed to clean myself up and get back into action, considered a high overachiever/performer at work and very fit and athletic early-morning gym-goer.

This last binge was my last, because
Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum kys
this is a good place to start.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. This is an excellent place for getting support to get sober.

Read and post often, it helps.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to SR! Your journey brings you here and this is a great place to be.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Helping prof in need of help

Hi all,

By way of catharsis:

29 y/o male alcoholic of 4 years. Addiction characterized, overall, by binge episodes lasting from one day to two weeks; upwards of two pints vodka per day during these times. I one time drank 4 pints in one day. I used my PTO to close the blinds, turn off my phone, and drink myself into an oblivion; coworkers asked me if I went on vacation, or simply what I did during time off....

I always managed to clean myself up and get back to work, where I'm considered a high performer and over achiever. There is also a perverse irony in that people perceive me as a health nut (former competitive bodybuilder and when I'm not drunk or recovering, gluten free high veggie eater and muscular and lean). I say this not by way of grandiosity or to meet narcissistic needs, but to simply show the depths of the disgusting irony and shame I live with.

Last episode began two weeks ago. Cracked open a beer and intended to drink "just" a 6 pack.

AND...here we are, two weeks later and a gallon+ of vodka later...and applying for FMLA. Have had to give supervisor hollow and brittle reasons for my upcoming leave of 12 weeks. I have an appt w MD tomorrow, as well as an intake at outpatient tx center. I intend to enroll in this program and engage to the fullest and use this time to grow as a person.

I've withdrawn from alcohol many times in the past, and await the worst of it tonight. I've sweated through mattresses and had psychic experiences that would put astral projectors to shame 😀. I intend this time to be the last, simply bc I don't think I
can physically/psycho-emotionally endure another go-round.

I'm going to detail my withdrawal and recovery experience on this website for accountability and by way of catharsis (if this is in wrong forum I assume mod will alert me and I'll happily move). I can say that my drinking is extreme and my only hope, aside from my admitted need for catharsis and exposure of my problem to people experiencing the same, is for my experience to be of help to another person who feels like "****, even these people aren't as bad as me!"
Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 1000yardstare

I have no problem with you detailing your detox - lots of folks do.

It's fine so long as it's not too graphic or ultra detailed. I wouldn't want anyone to be triggered.

It's good to get feedback too, so I'm glad you're posting

Best wishes

D
Old 05-13-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads together.

D
Old 05-13-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Sorry about the multiple threads and whatnot.

And thanks to all who replied thus far! I welcome your support and hope to one day be able to give in kind 😀
Old 05-13-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan 1000yard....welcome to SR!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you 1000yard! I'm glad you've made the decision to rescue your life from alcohol. Wish I had done so at 29 - my life would have been so different. We look forward to your posts as you begin your journey.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Good for you for taking FMLA to do treatment. That's a great move. I've done outpatient and inpatient. It helped immeasurably.

If you're seeing your doctor tomorrow ask about detox and whether they'd recommend hospital detox or not. The first time I quit I did hospital detox and it was great. Second time I detoxed after a doctor visit. I'd relapsed but didn't go so far down the hole that I was uncomfortable. Discomfort was a huge trigger to drink.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum 1000yardstare!!