Notices

Facebook and recovery

Old 05-13-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook and recovery

Hi all 14 days today. Whoop whoop! I was wondering if anyone uses Facebook for accountability and check ins with friends and family? Just a thought I have a lot of great friends and I know many of them know my struggle.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I personally don't use facebook at all. While it can be a useful tool in communicating with family and friends, I find it is mostly used for gossip and vanity. I completely disabled my account a few year ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made in quite some time.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I did when I had an account. I used privacy settings to keep it from being seen on my page.

I personally wouldn't be broadcasting it on my page. Employers and future employers could look you up
Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I do not.

In a recent survey of U.S. hiring managers 95% check applicants' social media as part of the screening process.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I personally don't use facebook at all. While it can be a useful tool in communicating with family and friends, I find it is mostly used for gossip and vanity. I completely disabled my account a few year ago and it was one of the best decisions I've made it quite some time.
I'm with Scott on this one. I stopped using Facebook years ago. My number of friends dwindled but I'm closer to those few now. I found myself so focused on glamorizing my life in pictures that I wasn't actually living it, anymore.

I use SR for accountability, though. Have you joined a class thread yet? My March class keeps me accountable for my actions and I find myself trying to stay sober more to tell them what is working for me and what isn't to help them out, simultaneously making my resolve to stay sober stronger.

Good luck Ice! I hope this helped
Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here Ice!!

Accountability is indeed important. For me though, I needed that more in private with close people I love dearly. Forums like SR or Facebook are just a virtual reality and for me don't really cut the mustard being accountable. SR can make me feel bad as well at times and I have to take breaks.........The whole "Like" or thanks for this useful post could go away imo. I think it leads to dishonesty, frankly and bad feelings at times.

Why didn't SoberGalForeverWon'tDrinkToday not thank me for my useful post???? Hogwash -
To thine own self be true - never forget it!

I do have sober friends who are on facebook and use it as a tool though - to each his own. It just made me feel like crap about my life, honestly.

The important issue is staying sober! In today's social media world if that works for some in their journey, so be it............Many ways, just make sure it's your way and not somebody elses>>>

keep coming back
Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tried FB for a while years ago and then cancelled it. Not a fan of twitter either, I much rather the more personable approach with friends etc
Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use Facebook as a very 'general' tool for keeping in touch with friends and family who I don't see as often as I'd like; to share other people's photos and news, etc. I am a teacher so never put anything on there that I wouldn't want parents; press; colleagues and school govs to read overnight. I do share my recovery with some very close friends, but would never post it on FB, as if they comment on it then their friends can also see it.

It might be safer to do a private blog and only allow certain people access to it? Not that I have any experience of that personally .

I personally work on the premise that anything that threatens my safety or reputation, also poses a threat to my sobriety.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with Beccybean. I do have a FB account, but it's basically only to keep in touch with my family back in Canada, and a few others. Most times when new people I meet ask for it, I just say I don't have an FB account.

There's no way I'd do something like post "day 30 of sobriety" on FB though.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on Facebook many times each day. I never share anything about my alcohol issues. Nobody on my friends list knows anything about it. Quite a few of my friends on FB are people I work with and I don't want them to be spreading that sort of info about me around the office. I needed a place like SR, where I could be anonymous and share my thoughts with others that have been there and wouldn't judge me.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Facebook is where everyone knows WHO you are, but not HOW

SR is where everyone knows HOW you are, but not WHO

SR wins!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't post anything about your recovery on FB. As was said, many employers check that stuff before hiring and that wouldn't be in your favor.

I had a FB account years ago... for one day, then I deleted it. SR is all the accountability I need.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I work in the high tech industry in the Silicon Valley, - anything you post on the internet is out there forever and stored on databases (sometimes numerous databases, depending on where the content lives)

When you post on FB, whether updates or photos, it becomes the property of Facebook. Read the TOS.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have an account but I mostly use it to keep in touch with coworkers/faraway family. Since I quit drinking I rarely check it unless I see someone has sent me a message. It doesn't seem like anyone uses it for anything worthwhile these days, and I have better ways to waste time
Old 05-13-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It seems unanimous against FB, and I absolutely agree.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
When you post on FB, whether updates or photos, it becomes the property of Facebook. Read the TOS.
Don't forget. It becomes property of the NSA / GCHQ too.