Notices

What kind of treatment??

Old 05-13-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What kind of treatment??

Hi all, I've been on here but not for a while. I just lost my job 2 weeks ago and have had some issues with drinking, I don't drink everyday at all but when I do drink I don't stop. I have a friend that was here last weekend who is in rehab herself for the past 6 months. She came up here relapsed - not with me but did continue drinking - then called my mom to say I needed to go to inpatient. Now my family is all worried and I have to do something about it but I don't think inpatient is necessary. Not it makes sense for me to just start going to aa meetings to start. Or do I find an outpatient? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looking at previous posts of yours it sounds like drinking is affecting your life in a big way. You talked about having blackouts which are very scary and extremely dangerous for women in particular.

I think it's nice that your family is supportive, but you should do whatever you think will work for you. If inpatient or outpatient are options for you, then make some calls and find out what they can offer to you. And, please know that you can always find support here.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Have you ever tried AA or outpatient? If you aren't drinking every day I'd say give AA a try first, it's free. Or you could call a local drug/alcohol rehab center...many of them will do an assessment for low cost or no cost and you can get a second opinion from a professional on the matter. They can also recommend local resources.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Lostgirl. Re-read what Anna posted and consider options that are best for you.

Lean on this community as much as you need, we are here to help each other.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What changed your mind about inpatient care? It was you who suggested it to your mom. Afraid to admit your problem with alcohol is more serious than you want to believe.

Whatever recovery method you decide on, do the work it requires to insure it works.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What changed your mind about inpatient care? It was you who suggested it to your mom. Afraid to admit your problem with alcohol is more serious than you want to believe.

Whatever recovery method you decide on, do the work it requires to insure it works.
It was never my idea. It was my friends
Old 05-15-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just began IOP, maybe it is something you can look into. They have different times each day for sessions. Mine are at night, which works out well for me.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you can go to inpatient, outpatient or no patient, you can go to aa, or any other type of meetings, you can spend a million dollars on rehab or you can spend ten dollars... or you can just decide one day that you are never going to drink again no matter what...
the only one that works is the last one. sure going to rehab will isolate you for a period of time and you may learn a thing or two.

BUT, until you a ready to stop drinking none of that is going to do anything but give a false sense of hope for your loved ones, give you an answer to those who ask, "See, I'm going to rehab. I'm doing something."

Until you are "ready" to quit and your desire to quit drinking is stronger than your desire to drink you have a 10% chance of stopping at best.

When your desire to stop is stronger than your desire to drink, you will have a 100% chance of success.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go to an aa meeting tonight. I haven't been in years so
I'm pretty nervous but at least its a start. Have to get myself out of this funk I'm in today.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to the meeting and immediately felt better. And still not drinking definitely going back!
Old 05-16-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great. Well done in taking that step.

I sometimes back up the meetings with the speaker tapes - esp the ones that I know will make me laugh out loud (laughter is very precious and therapeutic) as well as reading to boost my sobriety (Monkey on My Shoulder and Living Sober are both brilliant - and available cheaply from Amazon. I got them on my Kindle so I could read them anywhere without people being able to see what I was reading).

Did you get some numbers from other ladies at the meeting? If you did, don't be afraid to use them. I must admit that I don't phone (hard of hearing so phones get me stressed) but I do use e-mail and texts to touch base.

Hope you're still feeling better after that meeting. When's the next one?

x
Old 05-16-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job lost girl. You are doing well. Each day, you will learn what works and what to avoid. That's part of the overall individual plan that we must each create to stay sober.

Good job, keep it up!
Old 05-16-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
you can go to inpatient, outpatient or no patient, you can go to aa, or any other type of meetings, you can spend a million dollars on rehab or you can spend ten dollars... or you can just decide one day that you are never going to drink again no matter what...
the only one that works is the last one. sure going to rehab will isolate you for a period of time and you may learn a thing or two.

BUT, until you a ready to stop drinking none of that is going to do anything but give a false sense of hope for your loved ones, give you an answer to those who ask, "See, I'm going to rehab. I'm doing something."

Until you are "ready" to quit and your desire to quit drinking is stronger than your desire to drink you have a 10% chance of stopping at best.

When your desire to stop is stronger than your desire to drink, you will have a 100% chance of success.
Very well said. Thanks
Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great stuff Lostgirll!! Keep pushing through!!