Notices

How is your health

Old 05-12-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How is your health

Hey folks

Just wondering how is your health now that you are sober? Im only on day 9 at the moment and maybe I just kinda need some inspiration as I really wanna get fit and healthy again.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nearly every part of my health has improved since I got sober. It took weeks/months for some of it to improve, but my BP, my weight, my cholesteral, my anxiety, it's all better.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Nearly every part of my health has improved since I got sober. It took weeks/months for some of it to improve, but my BP, my weight, my cholesteral, my anxiety, it's all better.
That's awesome news! Just 9 days ago my resting heart rate was 120 but now its down to 75 and I just feel all round better within myself
Old 05-12-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Our bodies do repair themselves! It's actually quite amazing what our bodies do with all the toxins in our environment today. But yes, hangover free days = gym days and healthy eating , hangover days = sleep and junk food lol.
Vitamin B has been known to be helpful for alkies, plus exercise and movement always helped me too. I always gain weight when I drink too , good motivator to not drink
Old 05-12-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I've lost some weight and my liver enzymes are working their way back to normal again. Yay!
Old 05-12-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on day 9 Chilled! Keep up the good work, you'll see more and more results each day.

Personally, after 4 months or so, I was able to get off of all blood pressure meds; had been on meds for over 10 years.

Lost about 30 pounds

No longer red faced 24/7

Got blood work back and liver enzymes were normal; was diagnosed with fatty liver back in 2007 but kept drinking heavily

Lowered cholesteral to normal level

Finally enjoying life again without all of the constant anxiety, depression, fear...

Most importantly, I kicked my mood swings towards my wife and kids. No more stupid arguments just because I had been drinking since 10 in the morning!

Keep it up Chilled, the outcome is so worth the effort you put in. You are doing GREAT.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Great job on day 9 Chilled! Keep up the good work, you'll see more and more results each day.

Personally, after 4 months or so, I was able to get off of all blood pressure meds; had been on meds for over 10 years.

Lost about 30 pounds

No longer red faced 24/7

Got blood work back and liver enzymes were normal; was diagnosed with fatty liver back in 2007 but kept drinking heavily

Lowered cholesteral to normal level

Finally enjoying life again without all of the constant anxiety, depression, fear...

Most importantly, I kicked my mood swings towards my wife and kids. No more stupid arguments just because I had been drinking since 10 in the morning!

Keep it up Chilled, the outcome is so worth the effort you put in. You are doing GREAT.

Thanks so much for sharing, its very motivating to hear these success stories! double digits tomorrow
Old 05-12-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2 years, 10 months sober. At age 40, I'm healthier than I was at age 30. All the little nagging skin problems and digestive problems are long gone. I lost about 20 lbs and have maintained a healthy weight. Since getting sober, I have surfed in the Pacific Ocean, swam in the Caribbean, climbed volcanoes and dived from the top of waterfalls. Sobriety has opened my life to adventure, and my health has naturally evolved to fit my active lifestyle. Yours will too! Congrats on Day 9!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm about your age, Chilledice. In 21 months of sobriety, I 1) have lost 15 pounds 2) have none of the queasy stomach issues that I had when I drank 3) have lost 90% of the anxiety I had when I drank 4) have much better, ehem, relations than I did when drinking and 5) sleep much better than before. Good reasons to stay sober, don't you think?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will find that your body and mind will like you a lot better by staying sober.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took a few months to see the difference, but now, at over five years, I'm the healthiest I've been in a long time. And I sleep well too, most nights. I feel so much better sober.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7- was able to get Up early to write this post and get ready for a sober day. Sleep is much better
Old 05-13-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm the healthiest I've been in my life. I run 40 miles on the trails per week including a 10 mile and 13 mile on weekends.

I'm eating healthier, have given up coffee, and reduced sugar.

Last night I signed up for a 50k.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
I'm the healthiest I've been in my life. I run 40 miles on the trails per week including a 10 mile and 13 mile on weekends. I'm eating healthier, have given up coffee, and reduced sugar. Last night I signed up for a 50k.
right on man! I have my first 50k in August!

Have yet to lock caffeine though... How'd Ya do it???
Old 05-13-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey chilled! Congrats on 9 days! I can say physically everything has improved. Skin, hair, nails are growing strong. I'm as fit as I've ever been I think, well for my age! Lost 30lbs. Take better care of myself, from brushing and flossing, to skin care, to remembering to take vitamins. No more excess drunk snacking, somewhat normal sleep pattern. I can go on and on. Let's see, I'm finally debt free! I can drive my car at any time and be ready to assist in any emergency. So much positive! I really have to work on getting a social life though, that's the one thing I don't have anymore.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
right on man! I have my first 50k in August!

Have yet to lock caffeine though... How'd Ya do it???
I realized I was drinking too much coffee (perhaps for the sugar I put into it) and switched to caffeinated tea. No withdrawals or cravings.

My 50k is in October. Then I can finally 'own' my name.