Notices

Binge drinking out of hand. I'm a mess...

Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking out of hand. I'm a mess...

Hi all,

I'm epic-ally hung over and tired as I type this... again. What started out as a quiet pre birthday dinner with my brother ended in more than 3 bottles of wine and too many Jagermeisters. I have blank spots and am completely obsessing over what i may have said or done. I KNOW I didn't do or say anything but the doubt is ever present and it's giving me major anxiety.

I am a binge drinker. And a complete mess. My marriage is shaky, I think my husband is tired of the partying. I am embarrassed by my actions and my anxiety is skyrocketing. And my skin is awful. As is my waistline....

I drink most weekends, into oblivion. I can not have one drink. I am a one drink - drink the bar dry girl. I need help. I need to stop.

I have found an AA meeting but I'm afraid? I so badly want to stop being the party girl. I don't want to be "that" girl anymore..
Old 05-12-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by PrincessP View Post
I can not have one drink.
Me either, so I don't.

If you're a weekend drinker, what do you do Sun-Thur?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted.

My suggestion is to plan your upcoming weekend with something completely different. Go on a hike, have a picnic, visit sober friends, but plan something that is different than your usual drinking weekend. It will help you to get through the early weeks.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I have found an AA meeting but I'm afraid? I so badly want to stop being the party girl. I don't want to be "that" girl anymore.. "

Hi and welcome.
You’re situation is not uncommon yet we seem to want to procrastinate what we need to do, boy did I.
Fear of the unknown is not unusual at all, part of it may be that it works and I’ll be without my best friend alcohol.
The thing about meetings is that we are with people who understand us. There is something about the feelings coming from a hug or the look of pain in some ones expression, the head bobbing with identification and the listening of peoples joy for being sober one day in a row. It’s almost like magic.

BE WELL
Old 05-12-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, PrincessP; glad you found us.

Shake up those weekends; plan sober activities - hiking, biking, craft-making, new exercise routines, meet up with sober friends, volunteer at soup kitchens or nursing homes.

You can do this, PrincessP.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Me either, so I don't.

If you're a weekend drinker, what do you do Sun-Thur?
I don't drink, don't feel the need. I hardly ever drink in the week. This week is my birthday week, which has been more drunken than normal.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey! Alcohol used to be my best friend but it was toxic and selfish and wanted me all to itself. It didn't really care about me or my relationships. It only wanted to party... So I told it I was finished with that and that we can't hang out anymore. That was 3 long, hard weeks ago, but man, do I feel better now!

You can do this. Everybody here is doing this! Lean on us as much as you need!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why don't you try and not drink this weekend. My birthday used to be everyday.
You would be surprised at how nice a weekend actually is if your not wasted/hungover the whole time.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome - glad you're here with us

Most of us who attend ** had some trepidation about our first meeting or two. Of course we are the same people who would walk into a strange bar alone and make friends within minutes

** is like a bar without the alcohol - a room full of sober drunks.
I felt right at home in short order.

Gotta say - I drank a long time and variety of jazzzzzz. But wine and Jager?!!?
I may be having a sympathy hangover........
Old 05-12-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by PrincessP View Post
I have found an AA meeting but I'm afraid?
What are you afraid of? Sometimes it helps to really put it out there and write it down so you can see it.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Princess P. Ditto what flynby said. I could walk into most bars and feel at home. I did eventually make my way to AA though. The same people there as in a bar, just not drinking.

Stick around. There is a weekend support thread that goes up Thursday. Maybe check it out. I wasn't a weekend binge drinker so I know that's a somewhat different animal. I drank every day.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome PrincessP, another "gautenger" I see. One day at a time, baby steps. Maybe avoiding the situations where you would normally drink for a while might help?
Old 05-12-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Princess! I'm just like you. Not interested in one drink if I can't have three or four or just drink until the sun comes up. Total party girl since high school, especially in college and then continuing on until... well, now! Alcohol has certainly cost me some friendships, caused me health issues, to lose time at work (I'm normally a "weekend" drinker, but when I worked in the restaurant my schedule was crazy, as was my drinking), to put unnecessary strain on my wonderful relationship with my husband, to question what the hell I was doing and why couldn't I control myself like a normal person. I justified my drinking for a long time, telling myself I was as bad as this person or that, I didn't drink every day, I wasn't THAT bad last night, was I? And still, no matter how well I'd moderate for a while, I'd be miserable and eventually end up sick all day in bed from a righteous hangover, wondering what the hell was wrong with me. Ugh, makes me sick remembering. And it wasn't that long ago.

It's tough, for sure, shaking up your whole life. What do I do on the weekends if I can't drink? I'm still working on that. The days are fine, I go out, exercise, hike, read, hang with friends. At night, well, that is a bit harder. The first few weeks I didn't go out. I was bored and anxious, but it was better than risking my sobriety. I'm not out of the woods, only 8 weeks since my last drink, but I'm tired of quitting. I want to stay sober. I NEED to stay sober. I'm SOOO much happier now, even though I get down about the whole thing sometimes. Those little sometimes of the pity party I throw myself about having to give up my friend alcohol are totally worth the lack of all the problems that come with my drinking. It's not always easy, but when I think about what I've put myself and my loved ones through, it makes the choice a lot easier.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble about myself. Just wanted to let you know that I and many others here know what you're going through. And we all know that we don't want to go through that anymore. If you really want to stay sober, make a plan. Whether it be AA, or a commitment to use this site or to see a therapist, anything you can do for you will help. I don't personally go to AA, although I have been to a few meetings. It's helped a lot of my friends. I try to use this site often, keep myself busy with plans that don't involve drinking, treat myself here and there to something I love (get my nails, go out to my favorite restaurant, get a new book, enjoy a day at the park) so that I have something to look forward to to not drink. I also have been reading some books on alcoholism and those things. This site has a lot of resources and I think keeping busy is one of the most important things at first.

You can get healthy and sober and not have any of the anxiety you seem to be having, that we've all had. You just need to really work at it and remember why you want to be sober. And we'll be here for you whenever you need.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

go to the AA meeting.... get the sober ball rolling. Get a Big Book. Read it cover to cover, including the personal accounts.

Just start there.... stick around here....

AA may not be the 'thing' for you, but it's a place to start.

We must take real action to change.....

You don't have to keep going through this.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Every one is giving great advice, this is a great place to sort yourself out. I was deadly hungover when I first posted here earlier this year. It took me a couple tries to get to 21 days sober! You too can do it, it's a much happier and healthier lifestyle choice.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! glad you took the first step to post on here. It's a good place to start, but keep adding to that plan!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. First thing to do is put the bottle down. Don't drink this weekend. Do something different. Change is possible, but you've got to make it happen.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum PrincessP!!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are in the right place. I too am a binge drinker and would almost always drink until oblivion. I have managed to make it 16 days sober with the support here on SR and making the decision to change some things in my daily life.. It is work but worth it!! Stick around
Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Princess

D