The Expressive Arts and Addiction Recovery

Old 05-12-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

By Marie @ Elite Rehab Placement, LLC

The expressive arts bring us comfort, beauty, peace, excitement, food for thought and inspiration among many other things. In recovery, as we heal the many aspects of ourselves that were damaged in addiction, we grow through exploring the world, having new experiences and increasing our awareness of the positive things in life. Learning to enjoy the arts, and even to work creatively, can be a powerful addition to your recovery efforts. The arts open our minds and hearts and put us in touch with our senses, thoughts and feelings. Practicing creativity does the same. Here are some quotes about art and creativity for your meditations and hopefully, your inspiration:

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
― Pablo Picasso

Learning to enjoy the arts, and even to work creatively, can be a powerful addition to your recovery efforts.

“Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.”
― George Bernard Shaw

“If you ask me what I came to do in this world, I, an artist, will answer you: I am here to live out loud.”
― Émile Zola

“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island

“One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Wilhelm Meister’s Apprenticeship

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso

“We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
― Bob Ross

“What i like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.”
― Karl Lagerfeld

“You might as well ask an artist to explain his art, or ask a poet to explain his poem. It defeats the purpose. The meaning is only clear thorough the search.”
― Rick Riordan

“Creativity takes courage. ”
― Henri Matisse

“Art without emotion its like chocolate cake without sugar. It makes you gag.”
― Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak

“He took his pain and turned it into something beautiful. Into something that people connect to. And that’s what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you.”
― Hannah Harrington, Saving June