Notices

No stopping

Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No stopping

I have been going strait home after work. If I stop anywhere I know I will end up in the booze isle.
I am my own worst enemy when it comes to being strong. I figure after a few weeks dry I might start with places that does not have any liquor, fast food etc.... Then move on to grocery stores. I was a closet drinker. Or at least I thought I was in the closet. Evidently my problem was visible to others also.
So does spending time by yourself help anyone else or make it worse for you?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live alone, and I drank alone, so being by myself is just a normal state of being for me. It was hard at first, as I didn't know how to live without drinking, but it got easier as I got more sober time.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good idea to avoid places where alcohol is a focus. That's a good plan.

I tried to find a balance. I wanted to learn to spend time with myself and be comfortable because I used to drink at home alone, and obviously I was going to be alone sometimes so I needed to manage. But, I also found it very helpful to be around other people and function in a normal routine life.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean rainbug? Do you mean being alone makes it harder or easier to drink?

I drank alone and I drank with friends so there was really no difference for me. I preferred drinking alone tho - less embarrassment.

When I got sober I just made sure I had things to do - I posted here a lot.
D
Old 05-11-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was like you rainbug. In fact, I sold my car when I quit drinking just so I wouldn't even be able to go anywhere without walking 2 miles. That was part of my plan in early sobriety, I'm not recommending it or anything (there were legal reasons that it needed to happen too). But I can definitely relate.

I had a hard time getting into a disciplined routine, especially on the weekends so I ended up taking a second job where I could still have some interaction with people but on a strict schedule. Once I got some time in, I was able to relax my plan a little but I was always conscious about where I was going, how long I would be there and how I could "escape" if I needed to.

I live and drank alone as well, so it took me some time to get used to being with my sober self. I also got a dog right around that time. And she got to hear all my thoughts and life story quite often.

With time it will get easier. I think you have the right idea about being very conscious about it when you decide to venture out.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tactics like going straight home were key to make Sobriety work, I even used to leave my bank cards at home in the morning so I couldn't stop even if I was tempted!!

Getting radical in our decisions can mean the difference of going 1 more day!!