Notices

SoberRunner's Accountability Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

SoberRunner's Accountability Thread

So, I've decided I needed an Accountability Thread...

It's been a little over a month (4/4/15) since I found this site and decided sobriety would be best for my life, but within the last month my drinking has gotten worse. I feel like when I try to deprive myself from drinking, I end up drinking more (when I do drink) which makes me feel worse (mentally) than I used to feel pre-SR days.

Anyway, I do not have anyone to hold me accountable for my drinking in my daily life so I figured I'd try SR...

It may not sound like much, but my first goal is to make it 7 days without one drop of alcohol. I'll post on this thread twice per day between 2:00 PM - 7:00 PM PST.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good idea Sober Runner

If you haven't looked at the recovery plan tread yet, it's a great place to start:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 05-10-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Dee, thank you for the link. It's past my bedtime ( ) but I'll add it to my Must-Read List for tomorrow... That'll give me something to do between my Trigger Time.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds like a good idea. I went to an AA meeting (practically kicking and screaming) but I'm finding that it helps a lot. I received a 24hr chip that I keep on me at all times. I have decided that if I was to give in to my AV, that I would place my chip in the spot I took the bottle of the shelf from. For me when I carry my chip in my pocket I feel like I'm taking my whole group with me. The other day I walked past the wine section at the grocery store and thought for a minute, my husband wasn't home and I had no more errands to run for that day. I figured one wouldn't hurt but then I help my chip and felt the support behind pushing me out of the aisle.

Good luck we are all here for you!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you SR, my thread has helped me enormously. I keep it to remind me how shite the withdrawal was and how long it took me to cover. Good luck, you can do this - it is just like running - put one foot in front of the other.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All the best SoberRunner, and we're always here for you.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sober Runner (btw, I love that name...I am finally getting back into running) the thread is a great idea! Love it! I am like you, the thought of never drinking again makes me want to drink more. Day 2 here (for the thousandth time). Smaller chunks are easier to handle.
Looking forward to your check-ins!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had to really grow up when I first quit drinking in the 80s. I realized I had never told myself "No," to just about anything since I had been a teenager.

That had not served me well.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Thanks everyone! It's a new week and I'm laying in bed dreading going to work... My job is one of the main things that makes me want to drink after work, especially on a Monday. It just doesn't suite my personality and stresses me out. Guess I need to find other ways to "de-stress".

As I stated in my OP, I'll be checking in twice per day--one time when I get off of work and one time around the time I usually drink for various reasons (boredom, loneliness, stress, etc.). As long as I make it past 7pm, I'm ok for the rest of the night.

Many thanks for the words of encouragement!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right on! We're here for you
Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great idea. My thread has helped a lot. I recommend them. (((HUGS))))
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Mysusnshine1 View Post
... I have decided that if I was to give in to my AV, that I would place my chip in the spot I took the bottle of the shelf from.
That's a great idea! I need a 24 hr chip...

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
... Good luck, you can do this - it is just like running - put one foot in front of the other.
You're so right! I never thought about it like that. Thank you!

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I had to really grow up when I first quit drinking in the 80s. I realized I had never told myself "No," to just about anything since I had been a teenager. That had not served me well.
Agreed! Funny thing is, I'm usually pretty discipline in other areas of my life, but when it comes to drinking that's not the case. For example, if I tell myself I'm going to run 3 miles on a run, no matter how I feel, I will make myself run even if I'm not in the mood. But, if I tell myself I'm not going to drink for a week, I'll end up drinking if the urge strikes. I need to bring the discipline I have for running into sobriety.

Originally Posted by TennantSmith View Post
Great idea. My thread has helped a lot. I recommend them. (((HUGS))))
Thank you. It was your accountability thread that inspired me to make my own.

Btw, thank you Troy and Lilac--we can do it!!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good idea SoberRunner
Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work! I know the feeling, too, of trying to quit making me simultaneously want to drink more AND feel way worse about drinking afterwards. I've been through that a lot. I'm hoping not to go through it again. I hope you don't have to either
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck SR, running/weightlifting/logging has helped me a lot.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

1st check-in on Day 1: Just got off of work and I'm about to make my way home... Seeing as I won't be drinking tonight, I guess I'll go for a run after I make an early dinner.

I'm glad I made this thread because my AV tried to trick me again--it said, "You made it through another Monday and it's nice and sunny outside--doesn't a glass of wine on your balcony sound like a great way to relax?" Ugh! I already know how that story ends so my response is, "Hell no, AV!! That does **not** sound relaxing!"
Hopefully, that'll continue to be my answer in the following days--but I just need to focus on today, right?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

2nd check-in on Day 1:
I'm tired and on the couch watching movies... I definitely will not be drinking tonight and am looking forward to waking up early (and sober) tomorrow morning.

Thought: Based on the last few weeks, it seems as if I only drink if I stop by the grocery store after work. Today I didn't stop by the store but I need to be mindful of my weakness.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

1st check-in on Day 2: I just got off of work and have to go to the DMV (ugh!!) which happens to be in my favorite bar area; go figure. I'll try to stay strong and avoid visiting some of my bartender-friends.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

On many occasions I've used my desire to wake up early and sober to exercise as an additional reason to not imbibe. Whatever works, right?

Stay strong tonight.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stay strong Soberrunner! You can do this, break those habits, no matter what it takes.

Great job on starting your accountability thread.