Rehab questions

Old 05-09-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab questions

I think that my husband is ready to go to rehab. He is in the middle of an 8 day bender and he hasn't been to work. Right now, he has been contracted to do 2 jobs and the company is his own. He has no employees to finish the job so he feels he has to finish them before he goes in. However, I know I should let him handle all the arrangements but I thought I could ask you guys some simple questions.
Does insurance cover rehab? I have really good insurance but I don't know what it covers and I think he has to be the one to call. Do you call the insurance first or call each individual rehab place?

I don't know what he will do if it doesn't cover because we are really tapped out.

Thanks for any info you are willing to give,
Puffy
Old 05-09-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd call the insurance company first and get a rundown on what their coverage is for rehabs. That may knock some rehabs out right off the bat. If it's your insurance, you can call, unless you meant it should be his responsibility.

I don't know what kind of work he does, but how does one finish two jobs while in the midst of a "bender"?

And if rehab isn't an option, AA is free. It is successful for many, many people. I'm sober for almost 7 years thanks to AA, and my first husband has been sober 35 years, ditto.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In that case, I will make the call just to get it going. Ya, right? You got me on the job thing. He was supposed to finish the one job this week. And 2 of the days it rained so he couldn't work which led to more drinking. The other job doesn't start until next week or the week after... I'm not sure. This is the longest bender he has been on in quite some time so it really has me scared.

He goes to Smart Recovery and has a therapist but just doesn't seem to be enough.

Thanks for responding Lexie.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hugs, just hugs. So sorry you are watching this.

You say you think he's ready for rehab. How do you know, has he said? Because if he doesn't want to, it won't make any difference.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puffy View Post
I think that my husband is ready to go to rehab. He is in the middle of an 8 day bender and he hasn't been to work. Right now, he has been contracted to do 2 jobs and the company is his own. He has no employees to finish the job so he feels he has to finish them before he goes in. However, I know I should let him handle all the arrangements but I thought I could ask you guys some simple questions.
Does insurance cover rehab? I have really good insurance but I don't know what it covers and I think he has to be the one to call. Do you call the insurance first or call each individual rehab place?

I don't know what he will do if it doesn't cover because we are really tapped out.

Thanks for any info you are willing to give,
Puffy
Yes Puffy you can call insurance and ask questions. I would also go further and research rehabs on your own. Dont be afraid to get involved and help him look at options offered by the rehabs. This is what our family did. I think of it as "collaboration". Just respect his opinions and let him know he can make the ultimate decision.

My husband was in no shape to evaluate the options effectively. He was actually resistant to going at first, but we picked a place where it supported family contact, was a nice environment, and pleasant. Also, a good therapists can help a person move along the stages of change during sessions. He might even be a good candidate for outpatient. These can be really good and allow a person to live at home, work. I know someone who had great success doing this.

Look up the National Institute of Drug Abuse which covers alcohol abuse. They have guidelines and recommend only rehabs that use Evidence Based treatment as the core of their program. Make sure they offer options like Smart Recovery if this is his preference for follow up support. Its helped many, many people but they will tell you outright its not a replacement for professional treatment.

SAMHSA (substance abuse and mental health services) also offers a free treatment finding resource where you can look online or call for help.

My husband did well with rehab. We used one with behavioral therapies, no support groups. Although Im a member over at Smart because I enjoy their site and find it enlightening.

Good luck!