Notices

How to meditate - meditation

Old 05-08-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to meditate - meditation

I was curious how different people meditate in recovery. Each night before I go to sleep I sit on my bed Indian-style with my back propped up against the wall, usually with the aid of a pillow, I close my eyes, and I try to keep my mind still, seeing what deep, personal thoughts come to me, or I concentrate on an intentional subject. Either way I try to keep my thoughts on my recovery and not random, irrelevant thoughts. Now I don't know if what I'm doing is really meditation, bit so far it's what I know to do.

Is what I'm doing really meditation? Any tips or suggestions? I'm sure there are as many different ways to meditate as there are people meditating. I'm just curious and always wanting to add something new to my spiritual recovery toolbox. Being new to meditation I thought I'd ask!!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find when I focus on my breathe and let my mind wander by itself I experience true peace. It's called mindful meditation check it out!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like Oclaf, I found mindful meditation to be a huge help for anxiety. I used body scan meditations right when I laid down and it helped me get better sleep.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suggest mindful meditation. With mindful meditation you don't attempt to control your thoughts, rather you accept the thoughts as they come and view them objectively. This link gives a decent description of what to do to get started: Five Steps to Mindfulness | Mindful

I find a quiet spot and sit in a chair, I set my phone timer for 10 minutes and I focus on following my breathing in and out. My mind wanders, but I bring it back to my breathing, focusing and following my breath in and out. Each time my mind wanders, I bring it back to my breathing. I don't attempt to do anything other than be aware of my breathing as it is happening. Mindfulness is all about being focused on what is happening in the present moment, and focusing on my breath keeps me in the present moment and away from obsessing about the past or the future.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will definitely look into it. I'm new to meditation and would certainly love to learn more about it. Thank you!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dane. This is an old thread with good discussions and shared experiences about the topic, I also posted about some things I do:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...challenge.html
Old 05-08-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm trying to do this as well, but I usually don't make it past 5 minutes haha

Even a few minutes helps though! I did a google for Guided Meditation and got some good stuff - just audio recordings. Probably not quite as peaceful, but until I can do it longer on my own they've been really helpful.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

My favorite books on the subject:

Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana

The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery by Lawrence Peltz

The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction
by Williams and Kraft

The first is a classic and a great how-to book. The second is excellent for alcohol and any addiction. The third was the first book I read after I quit drinking. It's a workbook with exercises and spaces for writing and responding to questions and prompts. More than anything I've read, I attribute my current sobriety to these three books and to my practicing what they teach.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've never seen myself as someone who'd meditate, but since entering recovery I've very much wanted to include it into my life. Thank you everyone for your help!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for a great thread DaneK.

I started yesterday and it's funny how much my mind wonders and how difficult it is to last 10 minutes!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Back fully straight, legs crossed, hands palm down on my thighs. No back support allowed -- I need to keep myself propped up. Eyes open, and find a spot about 6 feet in front of me to concentrate on. From there, I'm able to find my sense of balance, and can begin concentrating on my life / presence.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hi Dane,
thanks for the thread.

I am new to meditation and recovery but cannot imagine one without the other. Simple mediation for me just slowwwwws everything way down and quiets the "committee" trying to have a board meeting in my head

This gent fosters a method of what is called passage meditation. Pretty simple to start with and starts the day off right when I am disciplined enough to engage it. One focuses on any passage they choose and slowly, rhythmically visualizes each word.

http://www.easwaran.org/eknath-easwaran.html

5-10 minutes for me daily....
Thanks again for the thread!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like to youtube some guided meditation videos. They walk you through certain steps depending on what you are try to focus on ect. Sleep, anxiety, negativity, relaxation...
Old 05-09-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you Flynbuy, and thank you all for helping me make a good thread! In my recovery I need all the help I can get!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm new to meditation too and I highly recommend the Stop, Breathe and Think App. I have it on my phone and I love it.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I wake up 20 minutes before I get out of bed and use that time to meditate.