Notices

How long

Old 05-07-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long

How long until I stop feeling like this:

GIMME A FRIGGIN DRIIIIIIINK

Aaaaaaaaand breathe!

How long until the obsessional thoughts of booze go away?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me about three months sober before I stopped thinking about drinking a lot. It also helped that I started to practice gratitude about that same time.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im only 4 days in, hanging on bit by bit at the moment!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's different for everyone, but keep in mind that you are on day 4....possibly still in the physical withdrawal stage. For me personally, I think got over that initial WD hump at about a week or so, but every day got a little better.

The emotional side of things can take a lot longer...that's why it's so important to have a plan to deal with it.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If there is one attribute that I would say contributes to success in early recovery it is patience. Cultivate it.

It's going to take more than four days to undo the damage of your years of drinking and subsequent relapse. It's the alcoholic's/addict's need for instant gratification that prompts so many relapses. Solid recovery takes time.

Stay strong.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Scott, you could still be feeling the withdrawals. I think it took me a few months before I got over the cravings entirely, but it's different for everyone. 4 days is awesome!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the support and encouragement, it is much appreciated! I just wanna get this day over with, goona watch a movie or two and then bed!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what helped me was getting active in other things.... going running, going to a poetry reading, going to a free concert at the local university where no booze was being served, going for a hike in a beautiful spot, going fishing, going to the library and checking out the magazines there for a while, calling a friend I haven't seen in a while and going for coffee....

Not drinking can be extra tough if all you're doing is sitting around and not drinking.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
what helped me was getting active in other things.... going running, going to a poetry reading, going to a free concert at the local university where no booze was being served, going for a hike in a beautiful spot, going fishing, going to the library and checking out the magazines there for a while, calling a friend I haven't seen in a while and going for coffee....

Not drinking can be extra tough if all you're doing is sitting around and not drinking.
I think I am physically well enough now to go for walks n stuff
Old 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It was hard for me in the beginning to get active. I felt pretty shaky and beat up. Gradually it got better.

But getting active and distracted is exactly what I needed, along with a plan. It will happen but I agree with everyone that patience is needed. Four days is super. Well done.